the mother was away, the candle burnt down and consumed a table it was
placed on. It later spread to the clothes beside the table.
Lagos State Fire Service, officials of the Lagos State Emergency
Management Agency and policemen from the Iju Police Division responded
to distress calls from residents, but the two kids had died before help
could come their way.
fire had spread to other parts of the room before a neighbour became
aware and raised the alarm.
evening to quickly get some items on the street, but she returned late.
The candle had burnt to some level before she left home. Her thinking
was that she would come back early.
because she did not want the children to sleep in a dark room. Their
father was not around. Two of the children were suffocated by the fumes,
but their elder brother was rescued and rushed to a hospital. Everybody
was devastated by the incident.”
correspondent on condition of anonymity, said the survivor was rescued
behind the apartment door.
managed to force his way from the fire into the back of the door, where
we rescued him,” he added.
fire was still on in the room where the kids lost their lives. The
information we gathered was that the mother went out and the father was
not around as well. The two kids were inside the room and the candle was
alight. It was the candle that caused the inferno.
children and saved other rooms from being affected by the fire. It
happened around 9.30pm and our fire station at Agege responded to the
responded to fire incidents at a one-storeyed building on Wole Bamiduro
Street in the Ahmadiyya area of the state, as well as a bungalow on
Oseni Liadi Street, in the Okota area of the state.
incidents. We urge residents to discontinue the use of candles at homes.
It is very delicate and has been consuming lives. There are
rechargeable lamps and torches that are cheap and risk-free.
have been carrying out series of empowerment programme, to include
torches and rechargeable lamps in the materials they have been providing
for the populace. This will go a long way in preventing loss of lives