Operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Lagos State,
has arrested eight suspected internet fraudsters. They were arrested
following intelligence report about their alleged involvement in some
The suspects who were arrested around the Egbeda and Agege area of the
state defrauded their victims of huge sums of money in different
currencies while posing as Americans.
The suspects are: Samson Olujobi, 28 (a.k.a Mau Rice, Melinda Mcginnis);
Abraham Sunday ( a.k.a. Raymond Dodson) 32; Gabriel Ayo ( a.k.a. Robert
Mcintosh, Donald Great) 25; Omotayo Raphael (a.k.a. Michael Black) 25;
Semiu Sunday Olawale (a.k.a. J. Cabtree) 23; Dafe Onosigho (a.k.a. Johna
Kurz ) 27; Ewiolo Elvis (a.k.a. Morgan Moore), 32 and Usiaka Louis (a.
k.a. Anthony Parker, David Smart, Alfred Norman) 22.
Evidences gotten from their email contain account user names and passwords of their victims who are mainly Americans.
Hurricane Max Now In Southern Mexico
Hurricane Max slammed into Mexico’s southern Pacific coast Thursday,
dumping rain on an area east of the resort city of Acapulco before
rapidly weakening into a tropical storm as it moved inland into Guerrero
The coastline where Max made landfall is sparsely populated and dotted with fishing villages.
Guerrero Gov. Hector Astudillo warned that the rains would continue all
night. Near Acapulco, the government worked frantically to widen a
channel to the sea to prevent a coastal lagoon from flooding.
The U.S. National Hurricane Center had earlier issued a hurricane
warning for the coastline between Zihuatanejo and Punta Maldonado, and
said the storm could bring “life-threatening flash floods and rainfall”
to Guerrero and Oaxaca states.
The center said the rapidly weakening Max should become a tropical
depression in the coming hours before dissipating early Friday.
The e-fraudsters also used their victims as money moles to transfer monies between countries.
University Workers End Positive Meeting With Govt; Strike Continues
The meeting between striking non-teaching staff of universities and the federal government has ended on a positive note.
The workers, members of three non-academic unions, SSANU, NASU and NAAT,
agreed to consider the federal government’s offer with the possibility
of suspending their strike.
The agreement comes after a 9 hour, 13 minutes closed-door meeting
between the Joint Action Committee, JAC, of the unions and the
government delegation in Abuja.
The leadership of the unions, however, said the issues raised by the
federal government will be taken to the National Executive Council
meeting of their unions for deliberation and possible approval. The
unions will then get back to the government in six days.
Samson Ugwoke, who heads the JAC, told journalists after the meeting
that the unions will come back after six days to take a final decision.
“Within the said period, government has promised that certain amount
will be paid and if the money is paid into the account of the university
then it is ours,” he said.
“I hope the minister does well with his promises.”
Non-payment of arrears of salaries and allowances is one of the major demands of the university staff.
On his part, the Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige, said
the unions’ demands have been addressed and the leadership will get back
to the government on September 20 after consulting with their members.
BBOG To Begin Street Matches In October
The BringBackOurGirls coalition said it would resume street marches in
October if the Federal Government failed to take immediate steps to
rescue the remaining 113 Chibok girls in Boko Haram captivity.
It also asked the government to send “a strong and high-powered Federal
Government team to Chibok to reassure their parents,” noting that the
lack of empathy for the Chibok parents has to end.
The group, in a statement by Co-coordinators, Florence Ozor and Oby
Ezekwesili, on Thursday in Abuja equally demanded accurate details on
the missing police women and the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation
oil exploration team abducted by Boko Haram.
Army Contradicts Abia Governor, Says We Are Not Leaving Abia Now
The Army in a statement signed, last night, by Director, Army Public
Relations, Brigadier General Sani Kukasheka Usman, asked the public not
the statement of Governor Okezie Ikpeazu of Abia State, yesterday, to
mean that the Army was totally halting the Operation Python Dance II in
the South East, including Abia State.
The statement read: ‘’The attention of the Nigerian Army has been drawn
to some stories in the media that it is withdrawing its troops from
exercise EGWU EKE II, crediting such information to Abia State Governor
and the General Officer Commanding 82 Division Nigerian Army.
This is not true. The Nigerian Army wishes to enjoin members of the
public to disregard such rumours. ‘’For the avoidance of doubt, the Abia
State Governor in his speech stated that “there will be gradual
withdrawal of soldiers on the streets of Aba and Umuahia from tomorrow.
‘’This should not be misconstrued as withdrawing of troops earmarked for
Exercise EGWU EKE II. The General Officer Commanding 82 Division has
not said such thing.
‘’Consequently, we wish to state that exercise EGWU EKE II is
commencing tomorrow as scheduled. Commanders have been instructed to
ensure that all hands are on deck to commence the exercise to its
‘’We wish to state further that the successful completion of the
exercise will dovetail into the various states security outfits till the
end of this year.
‘’Members of the public, especially in the areas where the exercise will
take place, are please enjoined to go about their lawful businesses.
We wish to also state that we would not allow any individual or group
to jeopardize the conduct of the field training exercise through
unlawful or criminal activities.
‘’Hoodlums and criminal elements are once again warned to be law abiding and not cause any breach of peace.
‘’We, hereby, reiterate that our troops would conduct themselves in the
best professional manner, abide by the Rules of Engagement and Code of
Conduct in line with requirements of the Constitution of the Federal
Republic of Nigeria.
Any act of indiscipline by any of our personnel would be decisively
dealt with. ‘’While we enjoin all Nigerians to go about their normal
businesses, the Nigerian Army urge all to support the troops as they
carry out their constitutional duties and make exercise EGWU EKE II a
Governor Ikpeazu had earlier spoken amid reports of heavy shooting
around IPOB leader, Nnamdi Kanu’s home in Umuahia, yesterday, with about
four persons feared killed. This, however, could not be confirmed at
Secretary To Bayelsa State Govt Resigns
The Secretary to the Bayelsa State Government, Chief Serena Dokubo-Spiff, has resigned his appointment.
Governor Seriake Dickson, who announced the disengagement of
Dokubo-Spiff on Thursday, said it was to enable him to return to his
private legal practice.
Dickson made this known at the end of the 79th session of the State Executive Council meeting.
EFCC Seizes 14 Properties Traced To Ex-FCT Minister Mohammed, Son
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission says it has seized 14
properties located in “choice areas” of Abuja traced to the immediate
past Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Mr. Bala Mohammed, and
his son, Shamsuddeen.
The EFCC stated this in a court application filed by one of its prosecutors, Mr. Ben Ikani.
The application, filed before the Federal High Court in Abuja on
September 11, 2017, sought the interim forfeiture of the properties.
The EFCC stated that both Mohammed and his son “have denied ownership and connection” to the properties.
But the commission maintained that “preliminary investigation has
revealed that the properties listed on the schedule are unlawfully
acquired through corrupt practices by the former minister and his son
while in office as the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory.”
The properties, according to the EFCC, included one “mansion” located at
Sunrise Estate, Asokoro, Abuja; and three sets of four-bedroomed
semi-detached duplex at Green Acres Estate, Apo-Dutse, Abuja.
Others were two sets of four-bedroomed fully-detached duplexes each with
boys’ quarters on Gana Street, Maitama, Abuja, a trekable distance to
Transcorps Hilton Hotel Abuja.
Also listed as part of the seized properties was a four-bedroomed
detached duplex with boys’ quarters located at 9, Platinum Luxury Home
White Estate, Asokoro, Abuja.
Title documents attached to the EFCC’s application stated that some of
the facilities in some of properties included “excellent road and
drainage network; dedicated transformer; borehole for constant water
supply; fitted kitchen, bedroom cabinet and wardrobes; ample parking
space; and children playing ground.”
The rest of the properties are plots of land in six different locations in Abuja.
Some of the plots of land were said to be located at Karasana West,
Abuja, measuring 84,657.30 square metres; Industrial Area 1 Extension,
Abuja, measuring 1.45Ha; and Guzape, Abuja measuring 2.7Ha.
Others were located at Industrial Area 1 Extension, Abuja, measuring
1.26Ha; Karasana West, Abuja measuring 64,507m2; and Dakibiyu, Abuja
Already, the EFCC is prosecuting the former minister before a High Court
of the Federal Capital Territory, Gudu, Abuja, on six
corruption-related charges, and his son, Shamsuddeen, before the Federal
High Court, Abuja, on 15 counts of money laundering and failure to
declare some assets.
The charges against Shamsuddeen involve about N1.1bn.
Two high courts in Abuja had in February ordered the former minister and
his son to forfeit 10 properties located in Jabi, Garki, Maitama and
Jahi and other areas of Abuja.
But the EFCC stated in its fresh application that “the crux of this
application is that the respondents are being investigated for offences
bordering on abuse of office, land scams, corruption and corrupt
practices, money laundering and diversion of revenue of government while
being the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.”
It also stated that the properties traced to the father and son were
“reasonably suspected to be proceeds of unlawful activities and crimes,
kept and concealed in the names of the proxies and nominees of the
former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Senator Bala Mohmmed,
and his son, Shamsuddeen Bala Mohammed, and for their benefit.”
According to the EFCC, the properties were held in the names of different companies and one Maimuna S. Aliyu.
The commission described Aliyu as Bala’s proxy allegedly used to acquire
the houses 1A and 2A of No. 7 Gana Street Maitama, Abuja.
The companies, in whose names some of the properties were said to be
held, are Intertrans Global Logistics/Bird Trust Agloallied Limited, Gal
Vac Mining Limited, and Diakin Telecommunication Limited.
Giving the details of its investigation, the EFCC maintained that the
former minister and his son are the owners of the of Diakin
Telecommunications Ltd, Bal-Vac Mining Ltd, Bird Trust Nig Ltd and
Intertrans Global Logistics Ltd, and Intertrans Global Logistics Ltd in
whose names some the properties were acquired.
The commission also alleged that Bala, while in office as the FCT
minister, appointed one JemilaTangaza as Special Assistant and,
thereafter, Director of Abuja Geographic Information System (A018) “to
facilitate fraudulent allocations of plots of land to her and her
proxies and nominees in choice areas.”
The commission alleged that the plots of lands were sold and their
“proceeds laundered in the acquisition of some of these houses like
House No 9 Plantinurn White Estate Abuja, acquired in the name of
It said Intertrans Global Logistics Ltd was linked to the son of the former minister, Shamsuddeen.
The affidavit filed in support of the forfeiture application read in
part, “That investigation revealed that the former Minister of the
Federal Capital Territory, Senator Bala Mohammed, and his son are the
owners and beneficiaries of Diakin Telecommunications Ltd, which they
used to acquire House FS1A, Green Acres Estte, Apo-Dutse, Abuja, and
No. FS1B Green Acres Estte, Apo-Dutse, Abuja, while Senator Bala
Mohammed was Minister of Federal Capital Territory. A copy of the sales
agreement between Abuja Investment Company Limited with Diakin
Telecommunication Ltd in respect of the houses at FS1A and FS1B is
hereby annexed and marked as exhibits EFCC A1 and 2.
“That investigation equally revealed that the former Minister of the
Federal Capital Territory Abuja, Senator Bala Mohammed, and his son used
a company known as Diakin Telecommunication Ltd to corruptly acquire
Plot N0; 32 Cadastral Zone D06 Karsana West, Abuja; Plot 1420 Cadastral
Zone B10, Dakibiyu and Plot 1261 Cadastral Zone C16 Industrial Area 1
Extension Abuja. Copies of C of O dated 11/6/2013, 06/04/2013 and
06/09/2014 issued by the FCT minister in the name of Diakin
Telecommunication Ltd is hereby annexed and marked as exhibit EFCC A3, 4
“That investigation revealed that the former Minister of the Federal
Capital Territory Abuja, Senator Bala Mohammed, and his son are the
owners and beneficiaries of Bal-Vac Mining Ltd, Bird Trust Nig Ltd and
Intertrans Global Logistics Ltd which they used to acquire houses and
plots of land in choice areas in the Federal Capital Territory Abuja,
particularly Houses 1A and 2A of No. 7 Gana Street, Maitama, Abuja;
House FS2B Green Acres Estate, Apo-Dutse, Abuja, respectively. A copy of
the Sub-Lease Agreement in respect of houses number 1A, 2A & FS2B
is hereby annexed and marked as Exhibits EFCC A 6, 7 and 8