court by a 26-year old student, Khaliah Shaw, who claimed she received
the wrong dosage of a medication that caused her skin to burn off.
According to Khaliah Shaw, a graduate student at Georgia College and
State University in the US, she was prescribed an anti-seizure
medication lamotrigine, marketed as Lamictal in the US in 2014,
according to a report by 11Alive, an NBC-affiliated TV station in
Within weeks of taking the drug, Ms Shaw claims blisters broke out over her body. She
told the news outlet she was “in excruciating pain” and felt like she was “on fire”.
The ordeal led to her diagnosis of Stevens-Johnson syndrome, a rare skin
disorder that usually occurs in reaction to a medication or an
incorrect dosage. Ms Shaw spent five weeks in a medically induced coma
while her skin slowly peeled off. .
She told the news outlet that the syndrome left her skin scarred and she
is slowly losing her vision, while her finger nails might never grow
The syndrome has no cure and doctors told her she might relapse.
“They’re telling me this could happen again, and they’re telling me if
it did happen again, that it would be worse,” Ms Shaw told 11Alive.
Ms Shaw is now suing the drug manufacturer GSK for promoting the product
without warning of the risks, reportedly demanding more than $3.45m.