The General Overseer of Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG), Pastor Enoch Adeboye, has come a long way and certainly has a lot to be thankful for. On the second of March, 75 years ago, he was born to a humble Christian family in Ifewara, Osun state.
1. When he advised men on choosing the right kind of wife to marry , saying they should not to marry women who cannot pray and cook “If a girl cannot pray for one hour, don’t marry her. Don’t marry a girl who is lazy. Don’t marry a girl who cannot cook, she needs to know how to do chores and cook because you cannot afford to be eating out all the time. Don’t marry a girl who is worldly. If you do, you have carried what you’ll worship for the rest of your life .” This statement did not go down well with a lot of people especially feminists who insisted that wives are not cooks.
2. His marriage advise to women on choosing the right man to marry . “Don’t marry a man who has no job. Before God gave Adam, Eve, he gave him a job. He said this is the garden, keep it. So those who come to you and say sister, thus saith the Lord, you are going to be the star in my firmament, ask him what is his job. If he tells you he is a contractor, ask him to show you evidence of all the contracts he has done because the contract he is talking about is you. He wants to live off you. Don’t be a fool. If he hasn’t got a steady income, don’t marry him .”
3. Having intercourse daily is not necessary and anybody who cannot stay away from it for a day should come for deliverance. “If you know anyone who cannot go a day without sex, bring him/her for deliverance. Sex is not food. It’s dangerous obsession.” After several attacks from people, the man of God said his sermon was not for everyone.
4. He warned members of his church not to marry from other churches. “Don’t ever marry outside the church and you have no reason to marry outside RCCG. The reason is that if you are both from the same church even when trouble comes it is easier for the pastors to handle it. “
5. When he asked members of his congregation to donate huge amount of money for a new auditorium, stretching three kilometres at a time poverty is smiling at most of the country’s citizens. “We need N1 Billion from ten (10) people, If you are one of them, please see my personal Secretary after we finish today. We also need N100million from those who can afford it, if you are in that category, please see my personal Secretary as well. Nonetheless, we need everyone’s involvement. If you can afford N50million, N20million, N5million, N1million to as low as N100, kindly make sure you participate. How many of you will build for the Lord?” He was criticized by angry Nigerians who described it as illegal and criminal.
6. Adeboye frowned at pastors growing beards in the name of new fashion as he cautioned that they should be clean shaven at all times. “The youths don’t respect an elder that looks like them. You are supposed to be their guiding light after they have fooled around. “ I don’t want to see any of my pastors looking like fellows from the training camps of Al- Qaeda .
7. He condemned tribalism. “Anybody who brings tribalism into the church should either leave the church immediately or will soon die like Annanais and Sapphira .”
8. He told Members not to give offering if they are unsure of their salvation. “From tonight, whenever they are taking an offering and you are not sure of your salvation, don’t give … why must you send money to Heaven if you are not going there? Why must you send money to London if you don’t have a passport? How will you collect?” he asked. “If you are not going to Heaven, why must you keep on sending money to Heaven? Rather than waste your money, use it to enjoy yourself so that when you get to Hell you can tell the devil ‘at least I tried.”
9. When he commended Governor Ayodele Fayose of Ekiti state, for what he called his courage and willingness to defend his people. “We thank God for your courage, for your boldness, we thank God for your being willing to take risks so that your people can be protected. “You have been a governor who knows when to say enough is enough in defence of his people. And I’m sure you know what I’m talking about and I am sure the world knows. I don’t want to say more than that. But be assured that we are praying for you and you will succeed in Jesus name.” The All Progressives Congress in Ekiti state alleged that Fayose could have bribed Adeboye with huge amount of money to get such endorsement, which is not being circulated.