Jumoke Odeyemi, has been killed in a fire that gutted her apartment in
the Ketu area of Lagos State., Punch reports.
Odeyemi, who joined NOUN in 2009, had a doctorate in Adult and
Continuing Education from the University of Ibadan, where she also had
her bachelor’s degree in Language and Literacy and master’s degree in
Punch Metro gathered that she was asleep at her residence on Jemigbon
Street, Apollo Estate, Ketu on Thursday when power was restored around
The victim had reportedly bought a 30-litre fuel the previous day which she kept in her balcony.
It was gathered that as soon as power was restored, there was a spark
which reportedly caught a mosquito net in the two-bedroomed flat,
leading to the fire.
Residents said they were awoken by the victim’s call for help, adding
that in the twinkling of an eye, the fire reached the jerrycan of petrol
The deployment of operatives of the Lagos State Emergency Management
Agency and more than five water trucks from two fire stations in the
area did not save the don from death.
She was reportedly burnt beyond recognition and her remains deposited in a morgue.
Smokes were reportedly emanating from Odeyemi’s apartment and were still billowing as of 4pm yesterday.
The government had, however, closed down the building.