Kidnapped Ibadan reverend regains freedom
A Methodist Church of Nigeria reverend, Biodun Ogunbekun, who was kidnapped on his farm at Kufi on the Olorunda-Aba road, Ibadan, has regained freedom.
Ogunbekun was kidnapped by five unknown gunmen on Thursday, November 10th. The kidnappers had demanded N10million from his family before he would be released. The Diocesan Bishop of the Methodist Cathedral, Ibadan, Rt. Rev. Amos Ajiboye, who confirmed the news on Wednesday, told newsmen that Ogunbekun was released on Tuesday.
“We are grateful to God and all those that made it possible. We shall be making further statements in due time. He is resting after what he had gone through in the hands of his abductors,” he said.
70-year-old man cuts neighbour with cutlass during argument in Lagos
A septuagenarian, Ibukun Ajimuda, docked for allegedly using a cutlass to inflict wounds on his neighbour, was on Thursday in Lagos granted N100,000 bail.
Ajimuda, 70; also accused of maliciously damaging a television set and a CD player valued at N79,000, is a resident of No. 30, Ifesuwapo St., Olodi Apapa, Lagos.
He is facing a two-count charge of grievous harm and willful damage in an Apapa Magistrates’ Court.
Magistrate M.A Etti, in granting the accused bail, asked him to produce two sureties that are gainfully employed, and who must should show evidence of two years’ tax payment to the Lagos State Government.
The Prosecutor, Sgt. Kokoye Olusegun, told the court that the accused committed the offences on Oct. 28 at his residential premises.
He said that the accused had an argument with the complainant, one Ayese Isiyeme, stormed into his apartment, and maliciously damaged his television set and CD player valued at N79,000
Olusegun said that when the complainant tried to protest against the accused, he (Ajimuda) took a cutlass and used it to inflict injury on his (Isiyeme’s) body.
The prosecutor said that the complainant reported the case to the police and the accused was arrested for further questioning.
Port Harcourt to experience 27-hour blackout
The Port Harcourt Electricity Distribution Company (PHED), has informed residents that there will be power outage for 27 hours.
Spokesman for the compnay, John Onyi, revealed this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Thursday.
The disruption in electricity supply will happen between November 17 and 19, to enable PHED carry out repairs and upgrade of facilities.
Onyi explained that the outage would commence from 9am to 6pm daily during the period.
“Electricity customers within Port Harcourt metropolis will witness power outage starting from today, November 17 to November 19, 2016,” he said.
“The planned outage is to allow the technical crew from Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) carry out re-conduction of Afam 132kv lines.
“Therefore, power cuts will take place from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on each day.”
He appealed to residents to exercise patience during the period .
Why we bought N3.6bn exotic cars during recession –Reps
The House of Representatives on Thursday defended its decision to buy exotic cars for its 360 members at a period the country’s economy is in recession.
It said lawmakers must have a means of mobility while carrying out oversight duties over Ministries, Departments and Agencies of the Federal Government.
The House will spend at least N3.6bn across 24 months to complete payment for the luxury vehicles supplied by the Kaduna-based Peugeot Automobile Nigeria Limited.
The PUNCH had reported exclusively on Monday that the firm had already delivered 28 units of Peugeot 508 series to members in the first batch of 50 cars.
A total of 360 units of the exotic automobile would have been delivered by January 2017.
The Deputy Chairman, Committee on Media and Public Affairs, Mr. Jonathan Gaza, while defending the procurement of the cars on Thursday, said that recession would not stop lawmakers from performing their legislative duties.
He argued that in a recession, both the executive and legislative arms of government were expected to work even harder to find urgent solutions to challenges facing the country.
Gaza noted that while working during recession, members were not expected to trek to the premises of the MDAs for oversight duties.
He added, “In a recession, we will all put on our thinking caps. We are working; these are committees’ cars and they are not the personal property of members.
“When you came here today, how did you come? Did you walk down to this place (National Assembly) from your house?
“If a member is going to visit an agency, will he trek there?
“We need materials, computers, stationery, cars; these are all for work.”
Asked to comment on whether the National Assembly would approve Buhari’s bid to take a loan of $29.96bn, Gaza replied that discussions were ongoing between the two sides.
The lawmaker said no conclusions had been reached.
He also declined to speak categorically on whether the government had begun making releases for the constituency projects of lawmakers.
The constituency projects of senators and members are worth N100bn in the 2016 budget of N6.06tn.
The refusal of the government to fund the projects is reported to be one of the sore points in the relationship between Buhari and the National Assembly.
But, when asked a direct question on the issue, Gaza parried it.
“We don’t release money for constituency projects. Our work is to pass the budget and we passed the 2016 budget. It is the responsibility of the executive to release funds for projects.
“Also, the money is not paid into our pockets, we don’t touch it,” he replied.
60% of Boko Haram members are not Nigerians- Chief of Army Staff says
Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant-General Tukur Buratai, yesterday said judging by the current activities of the Boko Haram terrorists, it has been proven that 60 per cent of the insurgents are not Nigerians. Buratai said this when he received the Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General, Dr Mohammed Ibn Chambas, at the headquarters of the Theatre Command of Operation Lafiya Dole, at the Maimalari Cantonment in Maiduguri, Borno state.
“Your Excellency, I want to bring to your attention that while the Boko Haram (insurgency) can be said to have started in Nigeria, by and large, as at today, I can say that almost 60 per cent of the insurgents are from our neighbouring countries. You can see that almost all of the recently surrendered insurgents are not Nigerians. This is a challenge that impacts more on the Nigerian side than the other countries. But by and large, our military is up to the task and we will continue to do our best to ensure that our country is secured”he said
Corruption is fighting back at my government but we will win- Pres. Buhari tells US John Kery
Meeting with American Secretary of State, John Kerry, yesterday Wednesday November 16th, on the margins of conference on climate change, COP22, in Marrakech, Morocco, President Buhari said corrupt people had accumulated a formidable arsenal of illicit wealth, which they were now deploying against the government on diverse fronts.
“But it is a war we are determined to win, and which we will win,” President Buhari said. “People of goodwill are behind us, countries like America and many others are with us, and we will surely win.” A statement by presidential spokesperson, Femi Adesina, said President Buhari also updated Secretary Kerry on the war against insurgency in the North-east of Nigeria, efforts being made to tackle humanitarian problems caused by the insurgency, informing that a presidential committee had been launched “under Gen T.Y Danjuma, a man of high integrity.” On the unrest in the Niger Delta area, which manifests in the sabotage of critical oil and power installations, President Buhari said the engagement process was proceeding apace, adding that it was rather difficult bringing the main protagonists of the insurgency under one umbrella. The President said Nigeria was happy with American support on different fronts, assuring that the economic challenges facing the country were being “frontally tackled, and we will overcome them soon.”Secretary Kerry expressed delight at the many successes of the Buhari administration, pledging continued U.S support in the bid to overcome security, humanitarian, political, and economic challenges. As the Barrack Obama administration exits next January, Kerry said he would love to continue engaging with Nigeria, even in a private capacity.
He described President Buhari as a strong international partner in the battle against violent extremism.
Abia PDP treasurer slumps, dies
The Abia State Treasurer of the Peoples Democratic Party, Chief Steve Omeoga, is dead.
The state PDP Publicity Secretary, Chief Don Ubani, confirmed his death.
He said, “It is unfortunate, he is dead.”
Our correspondent also gathered that before the game, Omeoga, who appeared hale and hearty, had ordered about two cartons of beer for members present at the club.
A member of the sports club, who pleaded anonymity, said after playing the game successfully, though Omeoga did not appear exhausted, he sat down on the court.
He said, “Initially members thought he was relaxing, only to observe with shock, that the man had slumped and was gradually losing consciousness.
“Efforts were made by club members to resuscitate him, before rushing him to the Federal Medical Centre, Umuahia where the doctors battled fruitlessly to save his life. We lost him.”