Contrary to the claims by the Kogi State Government that Governor Yahaya Bello is healthy, investigations, on Monday, revealed that he had been admitted into a hospital in Germany for eye surgery.
The PUNCH learnt that the governor was in Dubai en route to Germany for the operation, which is expected to correct an eye ailment that had been troubling him for sometime.
Bello, who won the December 6, 2015, by-election in the state, was sworn in on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 without a deputy, the first of such development in the country.
The nature of the eye problem could not be ascertained on Monday, but a senior official in the state confirmed to one of our correspondents on condition of anonymity that Bello travelled with some close aides and officials for the surgery.
It was gathered that the state Commissioner for Works, Land and Housing, Abdulmumini Sadiq, who earlier travelled with Bello, returned to Lokoja, the state capital, a few days ago to run some errands for the governor.
The source added, “The governor is not missing as being speculated. The fact is that he has an eye problem and he decided to travel to Germany for medical treatment.
“He actually travelled with some close aides, including about two or three commissioners. He is expected back in the state within two weeks, after he might have recovered from the effects of the surgery on his eyes.”
It was learnt that the governor, however, could not wait for a formal handing over to his deputy, Simon Achuba.
President Buhari pictured inside a class room in Edo state
1-year-old Nigerian student stabbed to death in Ottawa, Canada, suspect arrested
A 27-year-old man is in custody and expected to appear in court later today after a 21 year old Nigerian student was stabbed to death in front of Piper’s Bar and Grill in Otanwa, Canada.
Staff Sgt. Bruce Pirt of the Otanwa major crimes unit said police are working to determine a timeline of events, and called on any witnesses to come forward.
Investigators know something happened in front of Piper’s Bar and Grill, but don’t know if it started there, ended there or happened partway through.
Evidence markers peppered the pavement outside the bar, then curved their way across St. Laurent Boulevard to the Coventry Road median.
“We’re not sure if it’s all evidence but let’s capture it, both on camera and physically, and we’ll decide later on what really is evidence and what isn’t. Right now let’s keep the scene big and gather everything we can because we only have one crack at a scene.” Pirt said.
Pirt said it’s a big scene because they have to analyze all the blood and potential evidence, but they’re trying to narrow it down.
“We do have some bloodletting that covered quite an extensive area, we have to make sure it’s all connected to the same incident. As we investigate further we’ll be able to tighten up that scene and make it smaller and smaller.”
Pres. Buhari arrives Edo State, visits Oba of Benin (Photos)
According to reports, this would mark the President’s first visit to the monarch’s palace since his coronation as the Oba of Benin kingdom on October 20, 2016. Oba Ewurare has however, upon the president’s arrival, appealed to him to create a sea port in the state…
From the palace, the president is expected to proceed to commission some key projects carried out by the state governor, Adams Oshiomhole. The projects include; the newly constructed central hospital, the siluko road as well as the gully erosion reclamation project, at the Queen Ede Agbor road, and the New Era Secondary School now renamed Samuel Ogbemudia Secondary School.
This development is reported to be coming shortly after the valedictory session held for the out-going Governor of Edo state, Adams Oshiomhole. It is the last time Mr Oshiomhole will be hosting President Buhari in that capacity as Governor of Edo state.
13 football fans watching EPL killed in South Sudan bar shooting
The gunman, who appeared drunk, grew angry after being refused free entry to the bar where patrons had paid roughly USD 0.50 each to watch the football match on television, and then started shooting at the football watchers.
As at Saturday, the death toll was 11, but Deputy police spokesman Kwacijwok Dominic Amondoc said on Monday the death toll had increased to 13, as two other people died from injuries sustained.
Amondoc also revealed that others were still being treated in hospital. An injured person, Wani Patrick, recovering from a bullet wound to his hand said:
“When I was shot I fell down and some youths fell on me. I was unable to stand up until he finished shooting all his bullets,”
“Many people were shot, many people died.”
The location of the shooter is still unclear with “investigations underway”, according to deputy government spokesman Paul Akol Kordit.
“It’s very unfortunate and we as a government condemn this in the very strongest terms possible,” said Kordit
Kordit also pledged that the government would “do what we can to protect our people and bring to book such people who are killing innocent lives with no reason at all”.
Ban of LAGBUS: 5 persons arrested over protest in Ikorodu
5 persons have been arrested over the protest in Ikorodu following the state governments decision to ban LAGBUS from plying the route. Men of the Rapid Response Squad RRS arrived the community to forestall any breakdown of law and order
Their remains were received at the airport by Col Abu-Ali’s father, HRH (Rtd) Brigadier-General Abu Ali Mopa II, the Etsu of Bassa Nge (Nupe) Kingdom of Kogi State who was a former Militarily Administrator of Bauchi State, Chief of Army Staff Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai, Family members and others. More photos after the cut.