Controversy trails Oloyede’s appointment as JAMB Registrar
The union is, therefore, calling for his probe, saying that his era as Vice Chancellor was marred with anti-democratic and anti-union antecedents.
ASUU President, Professor Biodun Ogunyemi while addressing newsmen in Lagos on Monday said, “Given our inside knowledge of his anti-democratic and anti-union antecedents antecedents, Professor Oloyede is the last person that we expected to be so honoured with a national appointment of that status in the education sector.”
According to him, Oloyede ‘s anti-workers stance stood out in the case of the sacked UNILORIN 49, adding, “he led the Administration’ s team to as far as Lagos to testify falsely against the workers before the Industrial Arbitration Panel.”
He recalled that in 2008, Oloyede as VC said that UNILORIN is happy without ASUU, while at the same time collecting money from UNILORIN academics in the name of ASUU without remitting same to the Union.
“As VC of UNILORIN, the system was manipulated to emotional his son and daughter and within weeks, gave them awards for overseas training despite explicit regulations against the practice.
“The above represent some of the reasons why the Union is appalled that Oloyede as being offered an appointment to head the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board.
“The Union has resolved to lodge an official complaint with the appropriate authorities and to demand a full fledged investigation into the activities of Oloyede while in office as VC of UNILORIN,” he added.
FG begins sack of irregular personnel employed under Jonathan
The federal government has commenced weeding out some irregular recruits employed into the Federal Civil Service (FCS) through unauthorised appointments in the last few years.
Federal Civil Service Commission (FCSC), Mrs Joan Ayo, who made this known, said the ongoing staff audit by the commission, had revealed some irregular and unauthorised appointments, which, had been declared null and void
She said the staff auditing was aimed at fishing out irregular appointees and delisting them from the Integrated Personnel Payroll Information System (IPPIS).
The FCSC chairman said the action was necessary because the appointments were not properly backed by any vacancy from the Office of the Head of Civil Service of the Federation (OHCSF) and, as such, were not budgeted for.
Ayo added that the appointments were also in gross violation of the federal character principle.
She, however, said that declared vacancies from the OHCSF would soon be advertised.
Jailbreaks: Prisons board dismisses 23 officers, suspend 11 others
The Civil Defence, Fire, Immigration and Prisons Services Board (CDFIPB) has sacked three senior Prisons officers serving in Kuje Medium Security prison and three other senior officers serving in Koton Karfe prison for their alleged complicity in the escape of prisoners from the respective prisons.
The board took the decision at its emergency meeting held on Thursday 11th August, 2016.
The dismissal letters dated 12th August, 2016 were signed by the Secretary to the Board Alhaji A A Ibrahim.
The letter reads in part, “Civil Defence, Fire, Immigration and Prisons Services Board (CDFIPB) considered the allegation of serious misconduct arising from your negligence of duty as leveled against you.
“The Board thereafter approved your immediate dismissal from the Nigerian Prisons Service.. in line with the provision of the Public Service Rule 030402 (O) being an action prejudicial to the security of the State”.
The Controller-General of Prisons in his capacity has also approved the dismissal of 7 junior staff serving in Kuje Medium Security prison and 10 other junior staff serving in Koton Karfe prison also implicated in the escape saga.
The affected officers are to hand over all government properties within their possession to their immediate superior and proceed accordingly.
Mimiko’s Commissioner, Special Assistant resign, defect to APC
The Ondo State Commissioner for Community Development and Cooperative Services, Yetunde Adeyanju, has resigned her appointment.
Similarly, Hon. Giwa Rasheed, a Special Assistant to Governor Olusegun Mimiko has also resigned.
The duo said they were joining the All Progressives Congress, APC.
The Commissioner in a statement on Monday said with his resignation from the Peoples Democratic Party’s government, “a huge burden has been lifted off my shoulders.”
“The relief came from a refreshing freedom a political family where impunity reigns, freedom from subversion of democratic principles and indeed, freedom from deification of sycophancy.
“In the last seven years, I have served in various executive capacities in the state. I started as the executive chairman of Ondo State Waste Management Board, later moved on to head Ondo State Development Company Limited as executive chairman and finally, as commissioner in the ministry of Community Development and Cooperative Services.
“Whenever I served, I discharged my duties with utmost dedication and unassailable integrity; notwithstanding the culture of greed, avarice and absolute disregard for the masses.
“Having exited the conundrum of capricious politics, I have, therefore, decided to align myself with true progressives in the APC. While I salute the patriots in the APC, I also want to commend President Muhammadu Buhari’s anti-corruption crusades.
“It is, therefore, my great pleasure to renounce my membership of PDP and announce my membership of APC”, he said.
Randy teacher rapes seven primary school pupils in Kastina
The Katsina State Police Command has arraigned Hamisu Galadima, an alleged randy primary school teacher, before a senior magistrate court for having carnal knowledge of teenage girls in Faskari local government area.
The police prosecutor, ASP Hashimu Musa, informed the honorable court that the suspect was picked up following complaints by the victims’ parents.
According to him, all the girls were not above nine-years-old.
He said that the First Information Report (FIR) showed that the incident occurred at Tashar-icce village in Faskari local government area.
Musa added that Galadima had lured the girls into an office after school hours and had sexual intercourse with them at different occasions.
He said that the girls’ parents reported the case to the police after which the suspect was arrested for investigations.
The prosecutor further disclosed that the girls were treated at Funtua General Hospital.
He said that the offence was punishable under the section 283 of the penal code.
However, the magistrate, Mr Abdulkarim Ahmed-Umar, adjourned the case till Sept. 24, for mention and ordered that the accused be remanded in prison custody.
Naira crashed to N393 against 1 dollar
The currency lost N3 to exchange at N393, from N390 posted on Friday; while it traded at N505 and N435 against the Pound and the Euro respectively.
The naira appreciated at the official interbank market to close at N317.34, from N320.25 posted on Friday.
Cameroonian couple nabbed with stolen baby
The Cross River State command of Nigeria Immigration Service has arrested a Cameroonian couple (names withheld by the command) with a two-week-old baby boy suspected to have been stolen.
The couple alleged that the baby was sold to them by an unidentified child trafficker in the south western part of Nigeria.
The state Comptroller of Immigration, Mrs. Funke Adeuyi, disclosed in Calabar on Saturday that the suspects were arrested on August 10 at the Nfum Control Post in Etung Local Government Area of the state by a border patrol team.
Adeuyi said the suspects were arrested after the first line interrogation showed that their surnames did not tally.
Adeuyi said, “After searching their travelling documents, we found out that their surnames did not tally. They also claimed to have been married for 15 years. This gave us room for suspicion and further investigation.
“Our next line of action is to hand them over to the National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons for further investigation into the matter.”
The state comptroller said that the order for the parade of the suspects was given by the Comptroller-General of NIS, Mr. Mohammed Babandede.
When interrogated, the female suspect insisted the baby was hers.
Boko Haram: Japanese govt. donates $3m to assist victims