“I can confirm to you that my client has just been released on bail,” Mr. Bello said in a brief telephone conversation with PREMIUM TIMES. “He is very grateful to Nigerians for voicing out against his detention.”
Mr. Usman, a pro-government blogger, was whisked away from his residence by operatives on Monday morning, on allegations that he breached the Cyber Crime Act, 2015.
His family said his arrest was in connection to a story he published on his website which the EFCC deemed critical of its chairman, Ibrahim Magu.
BRT Drivers’ Protest: LAMATA promises speedy resolution
The Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority (LAMATA) on Tuesday
said it would leave no stone unturned to resolve the impasse between Bus
Rapid Transit (BRT) drivers and their employer.
The drivers on Tuesday downed tools to protest alleged delayed salary payment and unfavourable conditions of service.
scheme, which provides bus services on a dedicated corridor or lane, is
being operated by Primero Transport Services Limited.
Adegboye, LAMATA’s Acting Managing Director, who addressed the
protesting drivers, said the agency was concerned about the possible
impact of the strike on commuters.
“What we have done is to speak
to the busmen and we have assured them that the state government is
ready to listen to their demands,’’ he said after addressing workers.
have invited their representatives for a meeting at which we would
discuss the issues, look into their grievances and then see how we will
“But we have asked them to go back to the road and we believe that they will comply with that,” he said.
Adegboye appealed to stranded commuters, especially residents of Ikorodu, asking them to bear with the government.
“What has happened is not something that was not expected.
appreciate the fact that they are going through a lot of pressure now
but we want to ask that they should please bear with us.
“We are working assiduously to resolve the issues,” he said.
A 31-year-old father of one, Sunday Dennis, was on Tuesday brought
before a Badagry Magistrates’ Court in Lagos State for allegedly
stabbing his wife, Blessing, with a screwdriver.
The accused who
resides at No. 6, Aro St., Ajara area of Badagry, was arraigned on a
two-count charge of assault and threat to life.
Insp. Innocent Uko told the court that the accused committed the
offences on July 25 around 8:00 p.m at the mentioned address.
He said the incident occurred when the accused was arguing with his wife over a certain amount of money.
“They were arguing because his wife borrowed him a certain amount of money and he had yet to return it.
“In the middle of the argument, the accused threatened to kill her with a screwdriver and stabbed her at the back.
“She is presently at a hospital recovering from the injuries she sustained from the assault,” he said.
Uko said the offences contravened Sections 56 and 171 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2011.
The accused pleaded not guilty to the charge.
Counsel to the accused, Mr. Adeleke Ojo, pleaded with the court to admit his client to bail on liberal terms.
Magistrate, Mr. Abioldun Etti, granted bail to the accused in the sum
of N200, 000 and two sureties in like sum, who must provide evidence of
tax payment to the Lagos State Government.
The case was adjourned till Sept. 6, for further hearing.
NNPC dismisses reports on increase in fuel prices
Dr. Maikanti Baru, the Group Managing Director of Nigerian National
Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), on Tuesday, dismissed reports that the
corporation will soon announce an increase in the pump price of Premium
Motor Spirit (PMS).
Baru speaking with newsmen shortly after a
closed-door meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari at the Presidential
Villa, Abuja, said, so far the request for forex for the importation of
petrol had been met and the NNPC’s supply situation was “robust.”
marketers had on Monday asked Nigerians to prepare for another increase
in the pump prices of petrol due to the continued scarcity of foreign
exchange to finance the importation of the product.
According to them, the United States dollar hit an all-time high last week, as it exchanged for N400 at the parallel market.
Baru, however, denied any knowledge of the price increase, saying that there was no directive to that effect.
said that importers of the commodity had no justification to increase
the price as their foreign exchange demands had been met and supply of
the fuel was robust.
“I have not been directed to increase pump price, even the other price was based on recommendation from the regulatory body.
not aware that they are planning to do any increase, you know there are
several factors that necessitated that ,especially the issue of
exchange rate that has moved and we don’t expect any serious changes.
far the request for forex for importation of gasoline, popularly called
petrol, has been met and our own supply situation is robust, we are
The managing director, however, revealed that
Petroleum Products Pricing Regulatory Agency (PPPRA) could review the
prices of petroleum products when necessary.
He said that NNPC
currently had in stock over 1.4 billion litres of PMS for sale to the
public at government-controlled price of N145 per litre.
“We have over 1.4 billion litres on ground.
I don’t see any basis for increase; however, the review could be done
by the right body, you should contact PPPRA, that is the regulatory body
as far as petrol pricing is concerned,’’ he said.
Why details of Abacha’s loot are being delayed- World Bank
The World Bank has again asked for more time to release details on the spending of recovered loot by late General Sani Abacha.
followed the bank’s decision to refer “portion of appeal by
Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) to the Bank
Archives Unit for processing for public access.”
In a letter dated
8 August, 2016 and sent to SERAP, the World Bank said, “In response to
your request under AI4288, we would like to inform you that we are
working on your request as referred to the Archives by the Access to
Information Committee in its decision on the appeal and need additional
time to provide a more comprehensive response. We regret any
inconvenience for this delay.”
This development was disclosed on Tuesday in a statement by SERAP’s Executive Director, Adetokunbo Mumuni.
World Bank’s request for more time followed the appeal SERAP lodged
with the Bank on 5 February, 2016 on the ground that the Bank’s decision
on its initial request did not reveal “important portions of the
information requested on how Abacha loot was spent.”
This is the
second time the World Bank is asking for additional time to provide
SERAP with details of spending of Abacha loot. It would be recalled that
the bank in a letter dated 15 October, 2015 and signed by Ann May of
the Access to Information Team said that “In response to your request
under AI3982, we would like to inform you that we are still considering
your request and need additional time to provide you with a more
According to Mumuni, the Bank Access to
Information Committee (AIC) in its decision on appeal issued in Case
number AI3982-A dated 29 April, 2016 held that although the appeal by
the organisation was not filed within 60 days of the bank’s decision as
required by its Access to Information Policy, SERAP appeal nonetheless
“contains a request for additional information, not previously submitted
by the requester, and which the Bank has neither considered nor denied.
Accordingly, the AIC refers back to the Archives Unit this portion of
the appeal for processing for public access.”
SERAP said: “The
portion of the appeal which the Bank has now referred to its Archives
Unit for public access include information on: evidence and list of the
23 projects allegedly completed with recovered Abacha loot, and whether
the 23 projects where actually completed; and what became of the 2
abandoned projects; evidence and location of the 8 health centers built
with recovered Abacha loot reviewed by the World Bank; and evidence and
location of the 18 power projects confirmed by the World Bank.”
aspects of the spending of Abacha loot the Bank referred to its
Archives Unit for processing for public access are: information on: how
the $50mn Abacha loot received before 2005 kept in the special account
was spent; evidence and location of schools which benefited from the
Universal Basic Education (UBE) program in the amount of NGN24.25bn; and
evidence and location of the 13 road projects completed with the
recovered Abacha loot, including the names of the 3 of the largest road
and bridge projects in each geo-political zone.”
The World Bank
AIC appeal decision reads in part: “Summary of Decision: The Access to
Information Committee (“AIC’) found that the appeal is not properly
before the AIC for consideration. The appeal in this case was filed 75
calendar days after the Bank’s initial decision. Under the Bank Policy
on Access to Information, appeals to the AIC must be filed within 60
calendar days of the Bank’s decision.”
“Notwithstanding the above,
the AIC found that the appeal contains a request for additional
information, not previously submitted by the requester, and which the
Bank has neither considered nor denied. Accordingly, the AIC refers
back to the Archives Unit this portion of the appeal for processing for
“The Decision Facts: On September 21, 2015, the
requester submitted a request (“Request”) for “documents relating to
spending of recovered assets stolen by Late General Sani Abacha and the
Bank’s role in the implementation of any projects funded by the
recovered assets and any other on-going repatriation initiatives on
Nigeria with which the Bank is engaged.” On November 25, 2015, the
World Bank (“Bank”) responded to the Request by providing the requester
“On February 8, 2016, the secretariat to the
Access to Information Committee received an application (“Application”)
appealing the Bank’s decision. The Application challenges the Bank’s
decision on both a “violation of policy” and “public interest” basis.
The Application states, in relevant part, the following: [Intentionally
omitted] is sending this Appeal to the AI Appeals Board against the
World Bank decision dated 25 November 2015 to provide patently
insufficient information on the spending of recovered stolen funds by
the late General Sani Abacha.”
“We consider this a serious
violation of the AI Policy, as it amounts to improper or unreasonable
restriction of access to information.[…]Following receipt of several
documents from the World Bank totalling over 700 pages on the Abacha
loot, [intentionally omitted] commenced independent investigations and
verification of some of the information supplied with appropriate
agencies and institutions of government.”
“Findings and Related
Decision: In reviewing the Application in accordance with the AI Policy,
the AIC considered: (a) the Request; (b) the Application; (b) the date
of the Bank’s initial decision; and (c) the date when the Application
was filed before the AIC. In this case, the Bank’s response was issued
on November 25, 2015. The Application was filed with the AIC on
February 8, 2016, i.e., 75 calendar days after the Bank’s initial
“Under the Bank Policy: Access to Information, July 1,
2015, Catalogue No. EXC4.01-POL.01 (“AI Policy”), appeals to the AIC
‘must be filed (…) within 60 calendar days of the Bank’s decision to
deny access to the requested information’ (see AI Policy, at Section
III.C.8 (b) i). In view of this requirement, the Application is not
properly before the AIC for consideration.”
above, the AIC found that the Application contains a request for
additional information, not previously submitted by the requester, and
which the Bank has neither considered nor denied. Accordingly, the AIC
refers back to the Archives Unit this portion of the Application for
processing as a new request for public access.”