Beloved Nollywood actress Bukky Ajayi passed away today, many sources are reporting.
Although no much details has been given about her passing away, the eloquent actress touched many hearts this year at the AMVCA after she got a standing ovation for her Industry Merit Award.
She said,“I wish I could stand up. But if I stand up I will fall down. Are you all standing for me? Thank you. I am very very grateful to you.”
The Late Actress, Bukky Ajayi will be buried today at ATAN Cemetery by 4pm. Her body leaves her residence at 20, Alawode Street, Surulere, Marsha, beside Kilo Hotel.
She will be missed so much! May her soul rest in peace…
Here are some memorable things you need to know about the late actress.
1. She was born a christian but converted to Islam in the early eighties and chose the name Zainab.
2. Her love for the theatre started as a young girl when her father used to take her to the cinemas.
3. She studied in England. She was abroad for six years, as a Federal government scholar.
She left England and came back to Nigeria after her education in 1965
and started out working in Nigeria Television Authority(NTA) as a
presentation assistant in 1966.
5. Afterwards, she became a presenter
and then a news reader.She presented a couple of children’s programmes
and ‘Nigerian’s Sketches,’ a programme which was all about Nigerian
culture, and Diran Ajijedidun of blessed memory was her producer.
6. She was later transferred to Port Harcourt and later back to Lagos, and it was at that time she started her acting career.
7. She started with the ‘Village Headmaster’ in the 70s, and she later got a role in Amaka Igwe’s ‘Checkmate.’
She has featured in so many home videos that she has lost
count.Shooting of international film ‘Critical Assignment’ in South
Africa, is one of the events of her life that she will never forget. It
gave her an opportunity to see how it is done elsewhere, other than
Nigeria, where a movie is shot in five days.
9. Bukky Ajayi’s popular movies include Mother of George, Indecent Girl, Diamond Ring, Witches, Thunderbolt among others.
10. She’s Jazzman Olofin’s grandmother-In-law.