Three dead, scores injured as tanker explodes in Lagos
Three persons have been reported dead and scores injured in Lagos, after a tanker fell and exploded, Monday evening. A Petroleum tanker exploded at Cele busstop along the Oshodi-Apapa expressway this evening. Traffic along that axis has been on standstill since the incident.
He did not sustain any injury, however, a staff of Etisalat, who operate a mobile shop in front of the bank, was shot and rushed to the hospital.
“I was standing right here when I saw a car in high-speed stop right in front of the bank. Four men came out with guns and they started shooting at a car. One of them opened the trunk of the car and removed a bag filled with money,” an eyewitness, Jubril Mohammed told SR.A police officer who was attached to the bank also exchanged fire with the robbers while residents were said to have scampered for safety when gunshots echoed throughout the neighborhood.
Business activities in the bank was put on hold and customers turned away. Armed policemen arrived at the scene of the incident after the robbers had already fled. The police gathered evidence, including a cartridge of live ammunition and the victim’s vehicle.
Obasanjo made this known while answering questions from State House correspondents after a meeting with President Buhari at the State House, Abuja.
Obasanjo, who refused to disclose the content of his message, said he updated president Buhari on the outcome of the Annual General Meeting (AGM) of the Africa Export-Import Bank, which he attended in Seychelles Island.
“I have some messages for the President. “Not too long ago, I was in Liberia and the Gambia and the presidents of these two countries had some messages that they would want me to deliver to the President. “Also, only yesterday I came back from Seychelles Island, where I attended this year’s Annual General meeting of Africa Export –Import Bank.
“And there were aspects of the proceedings during that meeting that I think I should update the President on.”
The Special Adviser on Media and Publicity to President Muhammadu Buhari, Femi Adesina has stated that only those who are patient with the current government will eat the fruit of the land.
Adesina, who was a guest in Radio Continental, said his principal would fulfill all his campaign promises before he leaves office.
The ace journalist, who admitted that things were truly hard in the nation, added that many countries were going through hard times like Nigeria.
According to him, “We know that things are very difficult in the country. But that is not peculiar to Nigeria, as a number of countries like Venezuala are going through tough times. Nigeria is not immune from that because it is part of the global system.
“In the recent past, on a radio interview, I had been asked: ‘Does government know that people are suffering and that people are complaining?’ I answered that government is aware of what the citizens are passing through, and the radio station went further to ask if I know that a man exchanged his son for a bag of rice?”
Speaking on what the government is doing to reduce the suffering of the masses, Adesina said, “Yes, even one week in government is a long time. The times would change and those who believe it would see it . Those who are ready to be patient would eat the fruit of the land. A lot is being done to make life better for Nigerians.
“The Finance Minister, Mrs Kemi Adeosun, says technically, Nigeria is in recession. Why do we have government? Government is there to alleviate the plight of the people and make things better. The onus is on the people to then be patient, knowing that this government is out for their interest and cares for them. It is not a magic wand that can be waved and everything happens. It is a process.
“It is not a magic wand that can be waved and everything happens. It is a process, and a painstaking one that something good would come out from.”
We’ll use force if dialogue fails, Army warns militants
The Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai, has said the Nigerian Army will not hesitate to use force should the dialogue between the Federal Government and militants fails.
Buratai also appealed to Niger Delta militants to embrace democratic means in their demands and desist from engaging in violence.
The Army chief made this remark in Port Harcourt on Monday at the inauguration of the 2 Brigade Headquarters complex with an Olympic-size swimming pool.
He explained that though the Federal Government was committed to negotiation, the use of force had always been the first action before dialogue.
Buratai added that it was necessary for the militant groups in the oil-rich region to take advantage of government’s readiness to engage them in talks.
“Government is still committed to dialogue and whereby this cannot go on, then, there could be resort to other means. The non-kinetic (force) means has always been the source first before government can make recourse to the kinetic means.
“So, there is need for the Niger Delta Avengers to see reason and engage in dialogue with government,” the COAS said.
Olumba Olumba stated this while addressing a crowd of guests and adherents in Calabar, Cross River State, during an international youth event with the theme ‘Respecting Authorities and Higher Powers’.
“For now, which leader in Nigeria would people be afraid of, to the extent of coming up by themselves to return stolen money?” he asked. “I can assure that despite the millions of money people are spending, including going diabolical, to kill the president, they will not succeed and he will not be harmed. He will certainly complete his eight years in office. Buhari has a special task to accomplish in Nigeria at these times,” he added.
Troops rescue Emir of Bama’s wife and daughter from Boko Haram two years after they were abducted
The Nigerian Army has rescued the wife and daughter of Shehu of Bama from the Boko Haram enclave in Borno, two years after they were abducted.
Queen Hajju was abducted along with her two children when Boko Haram terrorists invaded Bama two years ago. While the she and her daughter regained their freedom, the son was killed by the insurgents few months after the abduction.
The queen and her daughter have been taken to the Emir’s residence in Maiduguri, by the General Officer Commanding, 7 Division of Nigeria Army, Brig. Gen. Victor Ezugwu.
They were reportedly rescued during a clearance operation by soldiers. The Emir, IBN Kyari El kanemi, according to a family source, wept uncontrollably when he saw his wife.
“We are happy to see our queen and her daughter back. But we learnt that Boko Haram fighters killed her son who was kidnapped along with his mum, the family source told The Nation.
Wife of Borno State Governor, Mrs Nana Shettima and Deputy Governor Usman Durkwa, other top government functionaries visited the resident of the monarch to welcome the returnees.