She however confirmed that she and a group of women will be staging a protest in Abuja tomorrow against Dino Melaye
“We are moving to Abuja in full force to be part of this protest against Melaye for harassing a woman of substance like Senator Tinubu, whose family paid a huge price for our democracy. Our democracy is still nascent and we must do everything within our power to protect it. We should not allow people like Melaye to rubbish what took years and cost us several lives to achieve. What Melaye did was not just against Senator Tinubu, but against all women and against our democracy. We will not behave like Nero, who sleeps, while Rome burns. All right thinking members of the society must rise against this oppression and an open insult against women by a man that has done little or nothing for our democracy. We cannot pretend that nothing is happening, when such a sacrilege is being committed in our country. With what Melaye has done, he has been demystified and he should be recalled by his people without any delay. We cannot keep quiet at this material time. As Professor Wole Soyinka would say; ‘the man dies, who keeps silent in the face of tyranny”the statement read
The woman, 46, and daughter aged 12 and 14, are being treated at the hospital of Gap, closer to the scene of the attack. Their injuries are severe but not considered life-threatening. However, the 8-year-old was rushed to hospital in Grenoble with a punctured lung and is currently fighting for her life.
According to The Telegraph, the attack took place around 10 am. The assailant stabbed the three girls on the terrace of of their chalet before attacking their mother inside.
Initial reports claimed the man struck because he was angered by the women being “scantily dressed,” but a local prosecutor has denied this.
Raphaël Balland, prosecutor of Gap, said:”I wanted to quash the rumour currently doing the rounds because on no account did this man make such comments about the fact that the attack may have been motivated by the victims’ dress code.”Dauphine Libere newspaper reports that he stabbed her in the chest. The local mayor, Edmond Francou, said he preferred “not to speculate about the motive of the attack” in the wake of the massacre in Nice last week.
The Moroccan-born attacker, who is from the Paris area, has a police record for petty crimes over the past 15 years. He is reported to have been on holiday at the resort with his pregnant wife and two children. The two families were staying next to each other and the assailant’s wife is “devastated”, according to the mayor.
The victims of the attack are from Nantes, in western France, and often holidayed at the resort.
Spain-based Nigerian seeks justice over acid attack
A 37-year-old Spain-based acid attack victim, Mabel Mark, has appealed to Edo State Police Command to arrest and prosecute the suspects involved in the incident in the interest of justice.
There are strong indications that the police will re-arraign suspects who were earlier arrested and detained in connection with the murder of a former Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Chief Bola Ige.
It was learnt on Tuesday that all the suspects that were arrested in 2002 who were later freed would be apprehended again for fresh arraignment and prosecution in respect of the case.
Findings indicate that a Special Investigation Panel set up by the IG will look at all the evidence in the case including forensic analysis which will be used to prosecute the suspects afresh.
The police could not be reached for comment as calls to the police spokesman, Donald Awunah, indicated that his number was unavailable.
It was learnt that the initiative to re-open Bola Ige’s murder case was from the acting Inspector-General of Police, Ibrahim Idris.
Sources said the IG wanted to demonstrate that the police could resolve all previously abandoned politically-motivated murder cases in the country.
A national newspaper, had reported that President Muhammadu Buhari directed the IG to reopen investigation into the unresolved murder of Ige, and ex-Deputy National Chairman, South-South of the Peoples Democratic Party, Chief Aminasoari Dikibo, and fish out the perpetrators for prosecution.
Ige was killed in his Bodija, Ibadan residence, on December 23, 2001, after he arrived Ibadan from Lagos.
A top Presidency source, who spoke on Tuesday on the condition of anonymity, said the reopening of the cases was an initiative of the present police management.
The source added that naturally the President would not oppose such a decision that was aimed at ensuring justice.
He said, “The truth is that President Buhari did not order the reopening of the murder cases.
“The decision was solely taken by the new police management led by the Acting IGP.
“The belief of the police management is that investigations into the cases were carried out shoddily, hence the need to revisit them.
“Naturally, the President will not go against such a decision but he was not the one that ordered the reopening of the cases.”
In a statement on Tuesday by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Mr. Femi Adesina, the President appealed to Nigerians to ignore what he called orchestrated attempts to sully the integrity of his ministers and other senior government officials.
Specifically, Buhari faulted media report that the immediate past Group Managing Director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation and Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Dr. Ibe Kachikwu, was being investigated over crude oil swap deals and gas lifting during his tenure as the GMD of the NNPC.
The President appealed for what he called decent and civilised comments, particularly when it had to do with the integrity of political office holders.
He said while he would not spare anybody who soiled his hands, Nigerians should wait until such individuals were indicted.
“Terrible and unfounded comments about other people’s integrity are not good. We are not going to spare anybody who soils his hands, but people should please wait till such individuals are indicted,” he said.
Buhari reiterated his administration’s commitment to probity, accountability and integrity.
He promised that transparency remained a watchword, which would never be trifled with.
Kidnappers want N30m for release of PTI’s CSO
One Muhammad Bello, 45, a teenage girl and three others have appeared before a Chief Magistrates’ Court in Katsina State for allegedly killing a newborn baby born out of wedlock and fed a dog with the corpse.
The Police Prosecutor, Insp. Altine Ragiji, told the court that the incident occurred at Saika village in Batsari Local Government Area of the state.
According to him, a traditional ruler in the town reported to the police that a teenage girl (names withheld, 15), gave birth to a child out of wedlock.
He explained that upon investigations, Muhammad Bello, 45; Musa Bello, 35; Umar Bello, 27, and the girl’s mother, Faiza Umar, 30, were arrested in connection with the case.
Ragiji revealed that the accused persons confessed to have killed the baby and fed a dog with the assistance of the girl’s mother.
He said the teenage mother further told the police that she was lured by one Musa Garba, 30, to his farm and forcefully had a sexual intercourse with her about 10 months ago.
“Since then, I missed my menstruation and later delivered,’’ the girl told the police during investigations.
The accused persons were charged for “an act done with intent to prevent child being alive after birth’’ contrary to sections 85, 235 and 387 of the Penal Code.
The Chief Magistrate, Mr Nura El-Ladan, said that the case was brought to the court for cognisance.
El-Ladan directed the police to conduct further investigations on the matter.
He also ordered for the remand of the accused persons in prison custody.
The court adjourned the case to Aug. 8 for further mention.
Paul Le Guen has reportedly rejected his appointment as coach of the Super Eagles.
According to French sports newspaper, L’Equipe, the former Lyon and Paris Saint-Germain boss claims the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), did not meet his contractual terms.
Le Guen was named as Sunday Oliseh’s replacement on Monday, subject to agreement on terms and conditions.
But it is understood that the Frenchman disagreed with some of the conditions he was given and is unwilling to shift grounds.
Among some of the terms, was Le Guen arriving with a support staff, including an assistant and a goalkeeper trainer.