Dear kfbers, we trust you had a fantastic weekend!
Edo Lawmakers fight dirty
Ahead of the September 10 governorship election in Edo State,
there are indications that all is not well with the ruling All
Progressives Congress (APC) in Edo State, as officials engage in verbal
Specifically, the State Publicity Secretary of the party,
Mr. Godwin Erhahon, reflecting the deep division in the party before
the governorship primaries last month, is accusing the State Chairman of
the party, Barrister Aselm Ojezua, of plotting with powers that be to
rubbish the National Chairman of the party, Chief John Odigie Oyegun.
said the action of Mr. Ojezua and others is seriously threatening the
chances of the party in the forthcoming September 10 governorship
election in the state.
Addressing journalists in Benin at the
weekend, Erhahon exposed intrigues that played out before the party
primaries and factors working against reconciliation after the
primaries. This is even as he accused Ojezua as one of those making
reconciliation impossible in the APC.
JAMB clarifies criteria for varsity admission
Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) says the point system
copied from its website as criteria for admission into tertiary
institutions in the country and currently circulating was a mere
This is contained in a statement by the board’s Head, Media and Information, Dr Fabian Benjamin on Sunday in Lagos.
said that on the contrary, the Federal Government had approved the
re-enforcement of admission guideline as recognised by law.
to the statement, the admission of candidates into tertiary
institutions will be based purely on three pillars namely, merit,
catchment and educationally less developed states.
It said that
the point system that was wrongfully copied from the board’s website and
currently being circulated by some media was used for illustration by
the Registrar, Prof. Dibu Ojerinde.
Oyo reopens schools, excludes 17 over demonstration
It, however, excluded 17 schools which allegedly participated in a demonstration on June 6.
Mr Toye Arulogun, the Commissioner for Information, Culture and Tourism, said this on Sunday in Ibadan in a statement.
The statement said the decision to reopen the schools was in response
to appeals by the Parents Teachers Association , community as well as
religious leaders and traditional rulers.
The 17 affected schools are Baptist Secondary School, Senior Junior
School, Oke Ado, Ansarudeen Secondary School, Liberty Road, Ansarudeen
High School, Liberty Road, Ibadan Grammar School and Senior and Junior
Also included are Olubi Memorial Grammar School, Molete, St. Luke
Grammar School, Senior and Junior School, Molete, St. Luke College,
Molete and Yejide Girls Grammar School, Molete as well as Methodist
Grammar School, Senior and Junior, Bodija.
Others are Methodist Secondary School, Bodija, Oba Akinyele Memorial
High School, Bashorun, Idi-Ape, Ikolaba Grammar School, Agodi, Ikolaba
Secondary School, Agodi, Ikolaba High School, Agodi, Lagelu Grammar
School, Agugu, Okebadan High School, Oluyoro, and Ibadan Boys High
Police grill six suspects over murder of Redeemed preacher
Territory Police Command are currently grilling six suspects in
connection with the murder of a mother of seven and Redeemed Christian
Church of God pastor, Mrs. Eunice Olawale.
Usman, in a statement on Sunday, said he had ordered the Deputy
Commissioner of Police, Criminal Investigation and Intelligence
Department to lead a discreet investigation into Eunice’s murder.
Police Public Relations Officer, Manzah Anjuguri, condoled with the
family of the deceased over the tragic incident and assured them and
other residents of the area of the commitment and determination of the
Command to fish out the perpetrators of the heinous crime and bring them
connection with the gruesome murder are in police custody and currently
undergoing interrogation; The outcome of the investigation will be made
that the deceased’s head and leg were chopped off, apart from marks of
injury inflicted on some parts of her body, all parts of the deceased
body were intact.
MEND gives FG 2-week ultimatum to start negotiation
The Movement for Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) has given the
Federal Government two weeks ultimatum to commence negotiations with its
Aaron Team on the Niger Delta problem or force the militant group to
adopt another strategy to make it to listen.
This is coming on the heels of allegations by elders and leaders
from Bayelsa State that some aides of President Muhammadu Buhari are
frustrating the negotiation with members of the Niger Delta Avengers
MEND spokesman, Jomo Gbomo, in a statement which he tagged ‘Right of
Reply’ to a recent article ‘President Buhari sharpens Focus on Niger
Delta’ by the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media, Mallam
Garba Shehu, surprisingly named Government Ekpemupolo aka Tompolo as
part of the new 10-man Aaron team led by former Minister, Odein
Gbomo stated that the Buhari government should not be deceived by
the intervention of the Niger Delta Dialogue and Contact Group (NDDCG)
led by King Alfred Diete-Spiff, noting that members of the group were
silent for six years when former President Goodluck Jonathan held sway
in Aso Rock and did nothing to draw the attention of the Presidency
then to the lingering Niger Delta problem. According to MEND, while it
is not opposed to the Federal Government negotiating with the NDA, the
Buhari government should not be deluded that the negotiation with the
NDA would automatically resolve the Niger Delta problem.
MEND which recalled that it backed Buhari in the 2015 Presidential
election because Jonathan though from the Niger Delta was not interested
in dialogue to resolve the problems of the region, stated that it would
not sanction any negotiation with the National Security Adviser
because the office lacks executive powers.
Nigerian Man Killed in Racist Attack in Italy Has Been Buried, Hundreds Turn out to Pay Tribute
Emmanuel Chidi Nnamdi, the Nigerian man who was killed by an Italian man in a racist attack on Tuesday, has finally been buried.
According to The GuardianNG,
Emmanuel was buried today in the Cathedral of Fermo in central Italy,
with hundreds of people turning out to pay him tribute. Emmanuel’s wife
Chinyere, dressed in all white, sat near his rose-topped coffin as many
people dropped heartfelt messages at his funeral. One of the messages
read: “He came to live in peace, he found death.”
Emmanuel Nnamdi tragically died in a local hospital in Italy after he
was severely beaten up by a farmer identified as Amedeo Mancini during a
fight which ensued after Mancini called Emmanuel’s’s wife an “African
monkey.” Emmanuel and Chinyere Nnamdi fled Nigeria last year after an
attack on a church by the Islamic extremist group Boko Haram in which
their two-year-old son and other members of their family were
killed. Since their arrival, the couple had been housed in a shelter run
by Catholic organization, Caritas, before Emmanuel’s tragic demise.
The suspect, Amedeo Mancini has since been arrested by the police. He will be prosecuted for xenophobic killing.
Portugal wins Euro 2016, beats France 1-0
grit, determination and a remarkable spirit despite the loss of the
team’s biggest star, Portugal upset France in the final of the European
Championships here on Sunday to claim its first major soccer tournament
trophy. The 1-0 victory at the Stade de France, on the strength of an
extra-time goal by the substitute Éder, denied the French a dream finish
to this monthlong event in a game many will believe they should have
won with relative ease.
Bin Laden’s son threatens to avenge father’s death
son of slain al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden has threatened revenge
against the U.S. for assassinating his father, according to an audio
message posted online.Hamza bin Laden promised to continue the
global militant group’s fight against the U.S. and its allies in the
21-minute speech entitled “We Are All Osama,” according to the SITE
“We will continue striking you and targeting
you in your country and abroad in response to your oppression of the
people of Palestine, Afghanistan, Syria, Iraq, Yemen, Somalia and the
rest of the Muslim lands that did not survive your oppression,” Hamza
“As for the revenge by the Islamic nation for Sheikh Osama,
may Allah have mercy on him, it is not revenge for Osama the person but
it is revenge for those who defended Islam.”
Osama bin Laden was
killed at his Pakistani hideout by U.S. commandos in 2011 in a major
blow to the militant group which carried out the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks.
Andy Murray wins his 2nd Wimbledon title
Andy Murray wins his 2nd Wimbledon title, beating Canadian Milos Raonic 6-4, 7-6 (3), 7-6 (2)Murray won after beating Raonic in three straight sets.
Scot broke into tears after clinching the final point as the emotion
overcame him and the crowd erupted with joy all around him.
the match 6-4, 7-6, 7-6 and was rarely troubled as he put in a dominant
display, matching Raonic’s big service game with plenty of aces of his
It comes as Murray’s personal wealth is set to double to
£120million with marketing experts predicting he will net another
£60million in the next three years after ditching his ‘wild outbursts’
for a family man image.
The 29-year-old revealed that during this
Wimbledon fortnight, his first as a parent, the tennis has been a
‘distraction’ and he just wants to get home to wife Kim and
five-month-old daughter Sophia.
Prince William and the Duchess of
Cambridge were in the Royal Box cheering on Murray alongside a host of
celebrities including Benedict Cumberbatch, Lily James, Hugh Grant and
Murray is worth around £58million currently through endorsements and commercial deals, according to the Sunday Times Rich List.
veterans said world No 2 Murray’s beefed-up appeal comes from calming
down his rants and sulks now he has married Kim, 28, and become father
to Sophia, born in February.
Experts said Murray’s fortune would
rocket even if he loses due to having a wider appeal, as with Beckham,
whose family wealth has rocketed to £240m since he retired from football
due to his combined family appeal from wife Victoria and children.
agent Simon Fuller also masterminds Murray’s sponsorship partnerships,
which already include a £15m deal with Sportswear firm Under Armour, as
well as deals with Head, Jaguar and Standard Life.