Africa’s second richest woman, Mrs. Folorunsho Alakija, the Chief
Executive Officer of Famfa Oil, turned 65 years of age last Friday, July
She did not forget to roll out the drums to mark her new age. She also used the occasion to mark her 40th wedding anniversary.
The church service for the two joyous occasions was the Cathedral
Church of Christ, Marina, Lagos and the reception was at Oriental Hotel,
Victoria Island, Lagos.
Here are 10 short takes from the shindig enjoyed by scores of heavyweights:
- The colour code was light blue and gold … And many of the guests,
especially ladies displayed their dress sense in breath taking numbers,
from body hugging two piece togs to dresses and iron and buba, mainly in
- The celebrant wore sunshine yellow and light yellow ensemble with
her signature gele. Her husband, Mr. Modupe Alakija, adorned blue lace
agbada along with their four sons (Dele, Rotimi, Folarin and Ladi).
- Mrs. Alakija later changed to a light lemon ensemble decorated with pink at the party.
- Femi Otedola, Forte Oil’s elongated shadow, chose his uniform of
white brocade buba and sokoto, black shoes and a simple watch with black
strap on his right wrist.
- There were many people who preferred other colours – Chief (Mrs)
Onikepo AKANDE chose light yellow with blue embellishments, Ms Moji
Okoya opted for white lace, Mrs Folake Majin in a beautiful rainbow
coalition, Mrs. Bolanle Ambode in light yellow but blue gele and Ipele,
Mrs. Stella Okolie in black dress with shimmering stones, Mrs. Ndubuisi
Kano in golden yellow, Mrs. Iluyomade in silver laden with stones, Mrs
Teni Aofiyebi in sunshine yellow, Mrs. Kemi Nelson chose golden yellow
and blue, Mrs. Toyin Saraki picked shades of brown (but later changed to
cream), Dr. Doyin Abiola wore a collage of colours, Mrs Funsho Amosun
wore yellow, green and brown, Mrs. Enem Akenzua delighted in green…
- The anchors were Helen Paul and Koffi.
- Alakija was ever joyous and danced away the night. She was sprayed
naira notes by some of the guests. Her husband joined her on the floor
and also spayed her N1,000 notes.
- Many used the gig to reignite their friendship. They talked away the night.
- The occasion was also used to present some of her books.