....

Saturday

Police to withdraw mobile personnel from politicians, ex-Leaders, VIPs nationwide and other major headlines you missed today...

Image result for kemi filani blog major headlines you missed today

Dear KFBers, we have got loads of interesting stories for you on our Major headlines you missed today feature! Enjoy.....
 Commissioner for Information in Rivers state resigns
The Commissioner for Information in Rivers State, Austin Tam-George, has resigned from office. He turned in his resignation letter today June 23rd.

In his letter which he delivered to the state's Director of Administration, Ministry of Information, Tam-George thanked the state governor, Nesom Wike, for the opportunity to serve in his government.


“I wish to resign my appointment as Commissioner for Information and Communication with effect from today, June 23, 2017. I have handed over officially to the Director of Administration of the Ministry. Thank for the opportunity to serve the state,” his letter read
Until his appointment in December 2015, Tam-George was a lecturer at Pan African University.

 
 

Police to withdraw mobile personnel from politicians, ex-Leaders, VIPs nationwide

 
The Nigeria Police Force on Friday said it would withdraw personnel of its mobile formation attached to important personalities in the country back to the barrack.
Inspector-General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, announced this in an interactive session with a group of civil society organisations under the auspices of “The Situation Room’’ in Abuja.
He said that the measure was intended to bring the police closer to Nigerians.
Idris said that the force had created additional mobile police squadron in states to enhance police operations, adding that Nigerians would now have more Special Protection Units (SPUs) in the commands in the zones.
“We will withdraw all mobile police back to barracks to concentrate on dealing with serious law and order situation.
“It means that we are stopping deployment of mobile police from protecting VIPs in the country because that is not where they should serve.
“This is to allow us have enough men on the ground to deal especially with the issues of kidnapping.
“We are creating new SPUs in each command; so, virtually all commands will have them, and with the support of the state governments, most of them would be deployed especially to states.’’
Idris said that the decision was basically to stem the cases of incessant kidnapping, adding that it had become a challenge that the force received hundreds of cases daily.
He called for the establishment of special courts to address the cases of kidnapping.
According to him, the public feels that kidnappers are not being prosecuted enough so there is need to seek strict measure to punish them.
The IGP said that with the creation of special task force squadron on terrorism, a lot of kidnappers had been arrested and that the force had 2, 000 suspected kidnappers across the country.
He reiterated the force’s commitment to apprehending the notorious and wanted kidnapper from Benue commonly called “Ghana’’, saying that his days were numbered.
He thanked Nigerians for their support and called for more collaboration to curb crime “because it will take a collaborative effort to win against crime in the country’’.
On his part, Convener of the Situation Room, Mr. Clement Nwankwo, called for the prosecution of kidnappers to serve as a deterrent to others.
Nwankwo stressed the need for protection of lives and property in the country, adding that ‘kidnapping is a serious national issue that needs to be tackled urgently.’’
 
 
EFCC arraigns judge for $260,000, N8.6m fraud 
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, Friday arraigned a Federal High Court judge, Justice Hyeladzira Nganjiwa, before Justice Adedayo Akintoye of the Lagos State High Court sitting in Igbosere, Lagos on a 14-count charge bordering on unlawful enrichment and giving false information to the EFCC.
Justice Nganjiwa is facing trial for failure to disclose the source of the sum of over $260,000 that he allegedly received through his bank account between 2013 and 2015. He also allegedly received the sum of N8.6 million from unknown sources within the same period. The alleged offences are in contravention of Section 82(a) of the Criminal Law of Lagos State No. 11, 2011.


During today’s proceedings, Justice Akintoye ruled on the preliminary objection to the charge. The accused, through his counsel, Chief Robert Clarke, SAN, had filed an application challenging the jurisdiction of the court to entertain the case. The defence further stated that only the National Judicial Council, NJC, has the power to deal with the matter.

However, Justice Akintoye dismissed the application on the grounds that it lacked merit.
"The notice of preliminary objections is hereby dismissed, “he said.

The judge further ruled that the high Court of Lagos had jurisdiction to entertain the matter, despite the fact that the defendant is a judicial officer of Federal Government sitting in the Federal High Court, Asaba division. Counsel to the defendant, Clarke, also told the court that the prosecution failed to attached the title "Honourable Justice" to his client’s name.

In response, the prosecution counsel, Rotimi Oyedepo, moved a motion orally to amend the charges. Thereafter, the accused took his plea.
The accused pleaded not guilty to the charges when they were read to him. In view of his plea, Oyedepo asked the court for a trial date and prayed that the accused be remanded in prison custody. However, Clark urged the court to grant his client bail on self- recognizance.
Oyedepo, in his response, objected to the application for bail moved by the defence counsel, while urging the court to impose conditions that would secure the attendance of the accused in court for trial.

“My Lord, if the accused will be granted bail, it should not be on self- recognizance,” Oyedepo added


Oyedepo further urged the court to grant accelerated hearing of the matter. After listening to both counsel, Justice Akintoye granted the defendant bail on self-recognizance. The accused was ordered to deposit his international passport with the Chief Registrar of the court within the seven days.

The matter was adjourned to October 6th and 10th for trial.
Dino Melaye sues INEC
Senator Dino Melaye has sued INEC. He disclosed this yesterday on his twitter handle claiming some of those that signed the petition for his recall are dead. While announcing the step he took, he said;

‘I have filed my case against INEC today at the Federal High Court Abuja today’

5 comments:

Kemi Filani Blog (KFB) keeps it real, makes it fun!

We appreciate your comment(s).

If you need to contact Kemi Filani
News/Tip Off/Advert
kemisolafilani@gmail.com


Disclaimer:
*Comments on this blog are NOT posted by Kemi Filani.
*Readers are SOLELY responsible for the comments they post
*Thank you.

Designed by Jide Ogunsanya.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...