NLC shuts down Lebanese firm over sack of 128 Nigerians , El-Rufai bans Shiites in Kaduna and other major headlines you missed today!

Dear KFBers, we have got loads of interesting stories in tonight's #MajorHeadlinesYouMissedToday feature...enjoy!

Naira may record gain next week

Naira notes
The naira is expected to stabilise on the parallel market after international money transfer agencies started selling dollars to Bureau De Change operators in line with the Central Bank of Nigeria directive.
“We have started receiving dollar supply from Travelex and we expect this to gradually impact positively on the naira exchange rate going forward,” the President, Association of Bureau De Change Operators of Nigeria, Aminu Gwadabe, told Reuters.
The naira was quoted at 470 to the dollar on the black market on Friday, compared with 473 on Thursday.
At the interbank market, the naira closed at 305.5 per dollar.

NLC shuts down Lebanese firm over sack of 128 Nigerian

The leadership of Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC, today led workers to shut down operations at a Lebanese Firm in Abuja, Artco Industries Limited for alleged anti-labour activities and violations of labour law in the country. 
The National President of NLC, Comrade Ayuba Wabba,said that the NLC decided to picket the Lebanese company because the management refused to recall sacked 128 workers of the company despite a judgment of the Industrial Arbitration Panel and the intervention by the Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr. Chris Ngige, on the matter.
Vanguard reports that,the management of the Lebanese firm was said to have sacked Chairman of the Civil Engineering, Construction, Furniture and wood workers, Mr. Alokwe Anisectus, and127 others for allegedly participating in the protests against fuel pump price and electricity tariff increase.
 Condemning the action of the company’s management, Comrade Wabba said NLC would continue to occupy the premises of the company until the workers were recalled, adding that the NLC would not allow any company to enslave workers in violation of decent work environment and Labour laws.

13 die in Niger boat accidents

No fewer than thirteen people, comprising 13 females and two males, have died in two separate boat accidents in Niger State.
Saturday PUNCH learnt , on Friday, that the accident involving the females occurred in the early morning of Tuesday when the boat they were travelling in capsized on the Kontagora River in Magama Local Government Area of the state.
17 villagers were going to a farm to harvest groundnuts when the accident occurred.
Six out of the passengers were said to have been rescued by divers, while the rest drowned. Among the dead were married women and underage girls.
Eight bodies had been recovered as of the time of filing this report, while divers were still searching for the remains of three victims.

Probe my children if they are corrupt, Buhari tells EFCC

The war against corruption may gather more steam soon, going by President Muhammadu Buhari’s latest pronouncement.

The President has told the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and other anti-graft agencies to probe even his own children or members of his family implicated in corrupt practices.

He said he would not forgive the anti-graft agency if it fails to probe any allegation of corruption against his children and family members.

A sketch of Buhari’s tough anti-corruption mindset and plans was contained in a book, “Muhammadu Buhari: The challenges of leadership in Nigeria”, which is authored by Prof. John Paden.

The book reveals how Buhari inspired the acting Chairman of EFCC, Mr. Ibrahim Magu as a school
boy to develop anti-graft traits.
“Buhari’s attitude is to let the chips fall where they may in particular cases, although reform of the judiciary is one of his larger goals. 
“Buhari has often said that if any of his own children were accused of corruption, and the authorities did not investigate, he would never forgive the authorities.”

Archbishop Desmond Tutu announces he wants to die by assisted suicide
South Africa's retired Anglican archbishop and anti-apartheid icon Desmond Tutu marked his 85th birthday yesterday. He also announced same yesterday that he wants the right to end his own life.

The anti-apartheid veteran said laws against helping people to die should be abolished. He claimed he has the right to be ‘allowed to pass on to the next phase in the manner of my choice’.

In an article published on Washington Post, the former Anglican archbishop of Cape Town said:

‘Just as I have argued firmly for compassion and fairness in life, I believe that terminally ill people should be treated with the same compassion and fairness when it comes to their deaths. 

Terminally ill people have control over their lives, so why should they be refused control over their deaths? Why are so many instead forced to endure terrible pain and suffering against their wishes. Regardless of what you might choose for yourself, why should you deny others the right to make this choice?
‘For those suffering unbearably and coming to the end of their lives, merely knowing that an assisted death is open to them can provide immeasurable comfort.
‘I have prepared for my death and have made it clear that I do not wish to be kept alive at all costs. I hope I am treated with compassion and allowed to pass on to the next phase of life’s journey in the manner of my choice.
 In refusing dying people the right to die with dignity, we fail to demonstrate the compassion that lies at the heart of Christian values.
‘I pray that politicians, lawmakers and religious leaders have the courage to support the choices terminally ill citizens make in departing Mother Earth. The time to act is now.’
‘I myself am even closer to the departures hall than arrivals, so to speak, and my thoughts turn to how I would like to be treated when the time comes.’
Desmond Tutu's plea  comes at a time when assisted dying campaigners in Britain have run into a barrier because of the refusal of MPs to weaken the safeguards built into criminal law.

Anyone found guilty of helping someone kill themselves can face a 14-year jail sentence.

However, assisted suicide is lawful in Belgium, the Netherlands and Oregon in the US.

El-Rufai bans Shiites in Kaduna

Governor of Kaduna State, Nasir El-Rufai

The Kaduna State Governor, Mallam Nasir el-Rufai, on Friday announced a ban on the activities of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria otherwise known as ‘Shiites’ in the state.
The governor communicated the ban through a statement by his Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Mr. Samuel Aruwan, stating that the group’s activities had become unlawful in the state.
The statement read, “This action is taken in the exercise of the government’s duty to preserve peace and security in the state, and to ensure that all persons and organisations are guided by lawful conduct and with due allegiance to the Nigerian state and its Constitution.
“The Kaduna State Executive Council approved the making of this order following deliberations at its meeting of Thursday, October 6, 2016.
“The order, which has been signed by the governor, draws on powers vested by the constitution and the laws of Kaduna State.

School feeding: FG fails to meet September take-off target

The Federal Government failed to commence its free National Home Grown School Feeding programme at the beginning of the current academic session in September as promised.
PUNCH learnt that the sharp reduction in government revenue prevented the Federal Government from meeting with the target date.
The programme, which was formally inaugurated on June 9, 2016 by Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo, is part of the Social Investment Plans of the present administration for which N500bn has been budgeted in the 2016 Budget.
The Federal Government, through the national manager of the programme, Mrs. Abimbola Adesanmi, had in July said it would commence the scheme in September when schools resumed, with 5.5 million pupils across the country.
The promise was that the programme would benefit 5.5 million pupils in the first year of its operation, while Adesanmi had explained that the Federal Government had resolved to start the programme with pupils from Primary 1 to 3 at the beginning, and then move to other classes later.
However, the Senior Special Assistant to the Vice-President, Mr. Laolu Akande, blamed the drop in oil prices and oil pipelines vandalism by the Niger Delta militants for the delay in the commencement of the programme as planned.
An office headed by the Special Adviser to the President on Social Protection Plan, Mrs. Maryam Uwais, created for the purpose of implementing the plan which formed a major part of the All Progressives Congress’ campaign promises ahead of the 2015 presidential election is in the Office of the Vice-President.
Akande also cited the need to ensure that the beneficiary states were ready as part of the factors responsible for the delay.
He, however, assured all stakeholders that despite the setbacks, the scheme would soon kick off.
He said, “We had to first ensure there is operational readiness in the states where the programme will start. That took some of the time.
“The other reason for the delay had to do with the general drop in revenues occasioned by the drop in oil earnings.
“The economic sabotage and attacks on oil and gas installations in the Niger Delta is also a factor, which at some point, meant Nigeria was losing one million barrels per day of the 2.2mpd that had been estimated in the budget.
“But the good news is that the programme, which has been budgeted for, will take off very soon. Please note that the programme has kicked off in Kaduna State for months now and for years in Osun State.
“The steering committee, set up for social investments with presidential oversight, has recently made provision for the programme to kick off very soon.”
When told of a recent statement by the Minister of Finance, Mrs. Kemi Adeosun, that N60bn had been released for the programme, Akande said the sum was meant for all the components of the social investment plan, and not for the feeding programme alone.
He described the money as the first tranche of funds, saying more releases would follow.
He explained that the money would go straight to the service providers, the cooks, through banks.
On the beneficiaries, Akande confirmed that all pupils in Primary 1-3 in public schools in the first set would benefit.
Apart from Osun and Kaduna where their state governments are already implementing the feeding programme, he listed other states in the first set to include: Borno, Ebonyi, Enugu, Anambra, Ogun, Akwa Ibom, Sokoto, Zamfara and Oyo.
He said as the government goes ahead with the scheme and once state governments show readiness, more of them would join the programme.
According to an overview of the scheme presented at its inauguration in June, the plan runs till 2020 and forms the cornerstone of the nationwide Home Grown School Feeding programme, which when fully realised, would provide a meal a day to over 24 million primary school children.
“Not only will the Home Grown School Feeding programme help our pupils become better students, it will also boost the local economies, and create new jobs along the way,” Osinbajo had said at the inauguration.
Saturday PUNCH had in its September 3, 2016 publication reported exclusively that the reduction in Federal Government’s revenue caused by the sharp drop in global oil price was threatening the full implementation of President Muhammadu Buhari’s planned social protection programme.
Other schemes under the social protection plan include the Micro-Credit Scheme, Teach Nigeria Scheme, the Youth Employment Agency, Conditional Cash Transfer, and Free Education Scheme for Science Students.
Meanwhile, some parents from across the country have criticised the Federal Government and expressed disappointments that it failed to commence the programme in September as promised.
The parents, all of whom have children in public schools, said they were hoping that their children would benefit from the programme.
 A parent in Katsina State, Mallam Nasir Manir, said, “The programme was to commence last month and the government has not told us the reason for the delay. I pray it does not end up being another campaign gimmick.”
A parent, who identified himself as Kazeem, said he was disappointed that the Federal Government failed to keep its promise to feed school pupils.
He said, “The government promised us and we were hopeful, but it has not done it. I feel it is very bad for a government to take the people for a ride because we had trust in it, but it is failing us.”
A social commentator in Ekiti State, Mr. Ayo Adegbuyi, also slammed the Federal Government for not keeping to the promise, saying it should apologise to parents.
In Kwara State, Mallam Aliyu Balogun, who has four children in primary schools, doubted the sincerity of the promise when it was made by the APC, adding that the government’s failure to commence the programme in September as promised showed that he was right.
Another parent, Mrs. Joy Omosebi, called on the government to fulfil the promise “by all means.”
But the Kwara State Chairman, Nigeria Union of Teachers, Musa Abubakar, had during his speech on World Teachers’ Day in Ilorin, said that the school feeding programme of the Federal Government would be a “colossal waste” if not properly harnessed.


  1. Hoping the Naira gains value as you said

  2. Nigerian economy seems to defy all economic rule. Also the high dollar to naira exchange rate should have been an advantage for local producers buh hmmn the reverse is the case. Hope dollar to naira balance up and becomes more favorable to nigerians


Kemi Filani Blog (KFB) keeps it real, makes it fun!

We appreciate your comment(s).

If you need to contact Kemi Filani
News/Tip Off/Advert

*Comments on this blog are NOT posted by Kemi Filani.
*Readers are SOLELY responsible for the comments they post
*Thank you.

Designed by Jide Ogunsanya.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...