Thursday

Buhari begs Nigerians to be patient, promises real change and other major headlines you missed today!


Dear KFBers, we have got loads of interesting stories in tonight's #MajorHeadlinesYouMissedToday feature...enjoy


Demolition of Fagba Railway Squatter Settlement Ongoing; Hausa Youths Protest









Tension is high in the Fagba, Iju axis of Lagos as the Nigerian Railway Corporation begins the demolition of the makeshift squatter settlement and market that hugs the railway line close to the Iju Railway station.

Officials of the Nigerian railway corporation and men of the Nigerian Police are facing off with northern youths, who are the majority of the residents of the squatter settlement, as the makeshift zinc houses and shops go up in flames.

This is not the first time the Railway officials have demolished the squatter settlement and market, but the squatters always return and the settlement tends to expand with each return.

The collection of zinc buildings serve as a makeshift abode for thousands of people of northern extraction and market stalls for women selling grocery nearby. The proximity of the railway line to the Agege abattoir and the cattle market that it shares space with is the main reason northerners abound there.

Most of the now restive youths squaring off with the government officials either work in the abattoir, drive okada in the neighbourhood or drive trolleys around the neighborhood buying scraps. The collection of zinc houses is their home, and many have complained about losing everything to the demolition.

The security officials olisa.tv spoke to revealed that the squatters were given notice to leave, but didn’t take it serious until the demolition started.

According to a source, the demolition is to make space as government plans to build a railway station to take over the transportation of cattle between the north and southern region, to replace trailers as the mode of transportation.




Stoning of Bello’s convoy was an attack on God – Maigari of Lokoja





The Maigari of Lokoja, HRM Alhaji Muhammed Maikarfi (III) has condemned the stoning of Kogi State Governor, Yahaya Bello’s convoy at Lokoja Central Mosque.

The monarch also warned youths of the state, especially Lokoja youths to desist from taking the law into their hands.

Maikarfi spoke on Thursday at his palace when he received some protesters who led a peaceful rally condemning the unruly behavior of the hoodlums during last week Juma’at prayer.


His words: “God almighty chooses who he wants to make a leader. The emergence of Yahaya Bello was ordained by God.

“I urge the people of Lokoja and indeed the entire state to support the new administration to succeed in the interest of state.

“What happened last week Friday after the Juma’at prayer is never in the interest of Lokoja community. We regretted that the incident happened in a sacred House and it is disobedience to God and should not be allowed to happen again. We condemn the act and it remains condemned.”






Man burnt to death in Jos by charcoal stove





A man, believed to be in his 90’s, was Wednesday burnt to death in Pleateau State.
Some persons privy to the incident were alleged to have said the deceased, identified only as Pa Daniel, lit a charcoal stove to keep him warm due to the cold weather in the state, an act he reportedly always indulged in. He, however, met his unfortunate death.
According to the report, it is believed that the charcoal sparks fell on a cloth which caught fire and gradually spread through the house of zinc.
The deceased, who until his death resided alone, was found burnt beyond recognition at his residence in the Alheri area of Jos, the state capital.





Army confirms death of Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau


\
The Nigerian Military on Thursday, confirmed the death of factional Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau.

The Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole, Major General Lucky Irabor, said this in Adamawa State during a tour of formations under his command.

According to Irabor, the individual originally identified as Shekau has indeed been killed, though the latest person bearing the name was recently wounded.


Irabor said, “I can confirm to you that the original Shekau was killed, the second Shekau was killed, and the man presenting himself as Shekau, I can also confirm to you that few days ago, he was wounded. We are yet to confirm whether he is dead or not”.

The Commander also confirmed division within the ranks of the insurgent group which was due to to constant military pressure

“They released videos to prove that they are still active, but that’s just a facade,” Irabor said.

Recall that the military after a recent air raid of the insurgent’s enclave in Sambisa Forest, claimed that Shekau was “fatally” wounded while some commanders were killed.‎”





I have not signed for Kano Pillars or any NPFL club – Yobo




Nigerian and Everton legend, Joseph Yobo, has debunked reports making the rounds that he has joined the former Nigerian champions, Kano Pillars.
The ex-national team centre back says he is yet to join the club or any other Nigeria Professional Football League, NPFL, club.
The League Management Company had announced that Yobo had agreed to join the Sai Masu Gida side and could feature against Sunshine Stars last weekend.
The former Everton defender had earlier agreed to come out of retirement and play in the NPFL for the remainder of the season as an ambassador.
He wrote on his Twitter handle, @jyobo234, on Thursday, “I read that I was missing in action last weekend. I have not signed for Kano pillars or any NPFL club yet.”
Clubs in the NPFL are jostling for the signature of the ex- Super Eagles captain with Kano Pillars, Ifeanyi Ubah, Rivers United and Wikki Tourists said to be those in the lead for the chase.



Man hangs self, leaves suicide note for Buhari 

Residents of Mbiabong Itam in Itu Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom State woke up to a shocking sight of a 50-year-old man identified as Chief Ekanem Edet dangling on a suspended robe from the roof of his house. It was learned that Ekanem Edet, former Secretary of the Mbiabong Village Council, popularly called ‘Jolly Boy’, had been dead several hours earlier. Edets’s wife and two sons, it was learned, had gone out early in the morning unaware that his remains hung loosely from the roof of his room.






Ondo APC primary election crisis: ”I fear no juju” – Abubakar 

Gov. Badaru Abubakar of Jigawa State says he is not afraid of charms and will conduct the Ondo APC primary election transparently. 
Abubakar said this while briefing newsmen in Abuja after being sworn in as the Chairman of All Progressives Congress (APC) Ondo Primary Election Committee. 
He said: ”Free and fair election will solve the problem. If they believe we are free, fair and transparent, they will accept the result. ”Well in the first place, I don’t believe in juju so certainly I am surely not afraid. ”I don’t know of any imposition, my duty there is to be free, fair and transparent and I think that is the only thing that will help the party.” He said the issue of identifying the delegates was important and their international passport, permanent voter card or national identity card would suffice. ”Any one of the three will be able to solve the identification problem,” he said. Abubakar advised other governors to cut expenditure in order to overcome the embarrassment of owing staff salaries. 





Recession: Buhari begs Nigerians to be patient, promises real change
 
President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday pleaded with Nigerians to be patient with his administration while assuring that the pains they are currently going through will soon give way to development. 
He said  ‘change’ was aimed at restoring the nation on the path of integrity and prosperity.
.The President urged Nigerians to be patient and persevere while promising that pains would soon give way to development. 
He said his administration was working hard to avoid the mistakes of the last administration in tackling insecurity and corruption and to revamp the economy which was badly affected by the drop in the price of oil. 
Buhari said, ” We promised Nigerian people positive and progressive change during our campaign. We are not and shall not be deterred from that noble undertaking. “But as we have learnt from history, change has never been attained by any nation on a bed of roses, but rather, through patience, perseverance and steadfastness. “We are quite aware of the pains and inconveniences that have been the lot of the citizenry in the past one year as we strive to faithfully implement our programmes in fulfilment of our change agenda. “We are however comforted by the real change and progress we have made in fighting corruption and restoring integrity to government; providing security for lives and property; and positioning the government for effectiveness and especially deregulating the oil sector. “We must also not forget the fiscal discipline that has now characterised government business at all levels. This indeed is how it should be and we are determined to introduce and implement actions and measures that will entrench the change mantra in our individual lives just as we are doing in curtailing excessive waste and rent seeking in governance. “We are determined to remain on track as we strive to deliver to rescue the country from past mistakes in fulfilment of our promise of improving the conditions of our people and making Nigeria a prosperous country.”

5 comments:

  1. i dont think Abubakar Shekau is death, buh i pray he is...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is well... Hope this Shekau is actually dead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hhhmmmmnnnn thanks a bunch for sharing @KFb.

    ReplyDelete

Kemi Filani Blog (KFB) keeps it real, makes it fun!

We appreciate your comment(s).

If you need to contact Kemi Filani
News/Tip Off/Advert
08134866321
kemisolafilani@gmail.com


Disclaimer:
*Comments on this blog are NOT posted by Kemi Filani.
*Readers are SOLELY responsible for the comments they post
*Thank you.

Designed by Jide Ogunsanya.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...