For our newbies, the KFB foodie talk column - handled by Dobby of Dobbysignature - is basically for ladies and 'guys' that are interested in learning how to cook better ;).
Did i hear someone say; Semolina and Mango? Hell to da No!? Believe me when i say that was the reaction i got from people who were told about idea of mixing both together before they tried it out. A lot of people couldn't get over the fact that mango could be an ingredient in cake making and semolina (what we normally use in making "swallow" for soup) could be used in place of flour. Some few hours later when i gave them slices to taste without letting them know the ingredients used in the preparation, they kept raving about how good the cake was.
The funny thing about this was, i didn't go all out while sourcing for ingredients to make it. All i did was put together a few leftover ingredients i had in the kitchen and Voila! The cake was done. Semolina is an italian word derived from the name "semola" meaning Bran. This is also derived from the Latin word "simila", meaning 'Flour'. Semolina is made from a specie of hard wheat known as "Durum" which means "Hard" in English. This same wheat is the type used in the production of spaghetti, macaroni or even couscous. The main point here is, semolina is "Flour" and can be used in cooking in general. For this cake, i used my pot baking method to make it easy and as basic as possible especially for those who don't have an oven.
Mango semolina fruity cake recipe
• Prep Time: 15 minutes
• Cook time: 30 minutes
• Total time: 45 minutes
• Recipe Category: Cake recipes
• 1½ cups Semolina
• 1 cup mango pulp, thick
• 1 cup granulated sugar
• 1 cup flavourless cooking oil (i.e vegetable oil)
• 1 tbsp. Baking powder
• 2 Eggs - Optional
• 1 cup Date fruit
• 1 Apple
• For this recipe, adding eggs is optional. I love adding eggs to make it fluffy but for this cake, you're fine without it.
• To get 1 cup of thick mango pulp, i blended the fruit of two ripe "cherry mango". You can use any mango for this recipe. While blending, don't add water to it as the pulp should be thick and not watery. If you can't help but add water, just add very little.
• To prepare the dates, soak them in water for about 20 minutes to soften. With a knife, slice open the middle and remove the seed within. Rinse the deseeded dates and place in a blender. Add a small amount of water to make the blades of the blender move. Roughly blend the dates making sure it still has chunks of fruits - Set this aside.
• To prepare the apple, cut the apple from the middle and remove the seeds. Slice the apple lengthwise into smaller pieces - Set this aside
• The cooking oil should be flavorless. This is to ensure it doesn't interfere with the mango flavor with other ingredients combined
Step 1: In a medium sized bowl, mix the semolina flour, granulated sugar and baking powder together. Add the oil and whisked eggs and mix to combine.
Step 2: Add the mango pulp and mix very well till you get a yellow paste. Add ½ cup of the chunky date fruit and mix thoroughly for about 10 minutes.
Step 3: Get out the baking pan you intend using and grease with a little oil. Flour the pan with a little semolina flour making sure every part within the pan is covered with flour. This is to enable the cake come out with ease once it's ready.
Step 4: Pour the cake batter into the pan and garnish with the apple and remaining dates.
Step 5: Get an old pot, preferably one made with aluminum and place a pan/ plate within (upside down). This is done to increase the height. Pre-heat the pot by covering it and leaving for 5 minutes. Turn down the burner and place the cake pan on top of the plate within the pot. Cover the pot and leave to bake for 30-35 minutes till a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
To bake in an oven, Preheat the oven at 180 degree Celsius. Place the pan in the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
Turn out onto a cooling rack or plate and serve! I love hot cakes so i usually can't resist eating immediately.