The governorship hopeful is an oil magnate, entrepreneur, investor and philanthropist. Ogah is the President of Master Energy Group, a conglomerate with over 15 subsidiaries and interests across a variety of industries. Ogah holds the Nigerian national honour, the Officer of the Order of the Niger (OON). Here are 6 things you should know about the super rich business tycoon who is confident about replacing Ikpeazu as governor of Abia state sooner than later…
1. Uchechukwu S. Ogah was born on December 22, 1969 to Chief Wilson and Ezinne Pauline Ogah of Onuaku Uturu, Isuikwuato Local Government Are of Abia State.
2. He attended Ishiagu High School, after which he garnered some working experience at the West African Examination Council (WAEC) from 1986–89, before he proceeded to the Institute of Management and Technology (IMT), Enugu State where he obtained Upper Credit at Ordinary National Diploma (OND) in 1992 and Distinction at the Higher National Diploma (HND) Level in 1995 in Accounting. He obtained a PGD at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) in 2005. He also has a Bachelor of Science degree (Banking and Finance) from Ogun State University and a Masters in Business Administration (MBA) from University of Lagos. Ogah obtained his ACA in 2007. He is a Fellow, Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN); Fellow, Institute of Brand Management of Nigeria; Fellow, Nigerian Institute of Shipping; Fellow, Employment & Career and member, Chartered Institute of Bankers.
3. He began his career as a banker with a year of National Youth Service year at NAL Bank Plc. Thereafter, he took up full employment at All States Trust Bank where he worked for around two years before joining Zenith Bank in 1997. At Zenith Bank, he set a record of growing a new branch from zero balance sheets to over N9 billion and rose to the position of an Assistant General Manager (AGM) in Zenith Bank. He resigned in 2007 to pursue a career in entrepreneurship.
4. After he left Zenith bank, Ogah ventured into the Oil and gas business and founded Master Energy Group. Today, the company has grown in leaps and bounds into a conglomerate with workforce of about 42, 000 with interests in oil & gas, banking, insurance, aviation, shipping, dredging, logistics, construction, travel services, and power. Masters Energy Oil and Gas Limited has grown into a conglomerate with investments worth tens of billions of naira. At a time when investors were exiting the Niger Delta because its security challenges, Masters Energy City invested billions of naira in Port Harcourt, Rivers State. He owns a 158,000 tonne petroleum products storage facility which provides direct employment to over 600 citizens of the Niger Delta region, and over 4,000 ancillary positions.
Masters Energy City contains a fabrication yard which fabricates and constructs equipment for use in the oil and gas industry and other sectors. The fabrication yard has constructed two different 1,000 MT capacity barges and is presently constructing additional three barges. Masters Energy sells petroleum products at over 60 retail outlets in Nigeria.
5. Ogah ia also an accomplished philantropist. He set up the Uche Ogah Foundation in December 2001 with the aim of providing empowerment, poverty alleviation, and providing education for the less privileged. His foundation has sponsored free medical services in different parts of Nigeria, in addition to building and equipping a number of modern hospitals in his native community, Uturu and other communities in Nigeria. He also partnered with a number of medical centres, including the Hopeville Rehabilitation Centre, to fabricate artificial limbs and calipers for people with a disability.
Ogah has offered scholarships to both primary and secondary students across Nigeria since 2006. He is also building a 5,000 capacity auditorium in Abia State University.
6. In 2014, Ogah was awarded, a national award – the Officer of the Order of the Niger (OON) by the Federal government of Nigeria. Other awards and honours include: Honorary Doctorate degree in Business Administration by Abia State University, Ambassador, Governing Council of the Nigeria-Turkey Chamber of Commerce and Industry, 2013 Nigerian – American Chamber of Commerce Outstanding Entrepreneur by Nigerian – American Chamber of Commerce, Ambassador of Peace, UN-POLAC Effective Leadership Award by Global Youths Awareness & Development. Initiative (GYADI), Award for Excellence Foundation Entrepreneurship Promoter of the Year by Entrepreneurship Promotions Academy Africa, Diamond Father of the Year, 2012 by Catholic Men’s Organisation, Masters Dei Cathedral Parish, Umuahia, Sector Development by Institute of Management. & Technology, Enugu, (Aba Chapter) among others.
21 things you need to remember about Gov. Ikpeazu